Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help me save my Hebe :(

Posted by
angels-quest Zone 8 - UK
(gw:angels-quest) on
Wed, Oct 4, 06 at 19:07

Hi there,

I have four different Hebe's, each growing in their own container in the garden.Three are doing well, especially the gorgeous 'Purple Pixie'.

But one of the more golden leaved Hebe's has turned almost completely brown :(
Can anyone tell me what has happenend? A very few of it's leaves are still the golden colour, the rest are all a yukky brown. All the Hebe's are in similar positions in the garden, all were getting pretty much full sun (but now we are having the cold spell & rain).
Although the 'problem' Hebe started turning dark brown way before this cold spell set in.

I'd appreciate any advice at all, i really dont want to lose my Hebe.

Hugs,
mandy (UK)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help me save my Hebe :(

i know nothing about them ... so i had to google them .. hmmm ... evergreen veronica .. go figure...

i am surprised how much they look like daphne ... on my computer screen anyway ... lol

seems to be a good link below ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: veronica????

o

As long as drainage is sharp, hebes tend not to be prone to many problems, fungal leaf spotting aside. I have recently read reports of incidences of fusarium and verticillium affecting isolated hebe growing operations however, and your description certainly sounds somewhat verticillium-like. If this is the case, I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for the affected plant. Just toss it out and don't replant another hebe in same container unless soil is replaced and container has been sterilized.

o

More likely to be a case of either underwatering or overwatering. Hebes don't like waterlogging or extended drought, fairly tolerant in the ground but a bit more picky in a pot. Cold is a potential problem for some Hebes but it hasn't yet been cold enough to cause trouble this year.

o

I've two purple leaf shrub hebe's (planted from 7-8" pots last autumn). They have both grown-on well and flowered wonderfully late June/early July - then they just appear to have lost most leaves and look a sorry, dry mess.
The only thing I've done to them (together with young buxus hedge plants and another couple of [different] purple leaf hebes that are currently in flower/very healthy leaf) is cover the area around/in between them with a light weed supressing membrane and 20mm slate chips
What's happened and can I recover them?

o

Dig up a dry one and look at the roots. The plastic may be preventing it getting enough water. You will probably live to regret the weed fabric as the debris builds up on it and it becomes a nice substrate for new weeds to germinate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here