Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemytrees

Can Burning Bushes get Sunscald?

ilovemytrees
10 years ago

Hi.

The way my yard is set up, almost all of my plantings are on the Southwest portion of my yard. Absolutely everything I have EVER planted has gotten sunscald, everything, except my Golden Raintree, which I have wrapped every winter. Even my European Hornbeam Fastigiatas I planted last year, known as Iron Wood, got sunscald last winter. I was pissed because we did our best to shade them strategically with burlap but the winds off the lake blew the burlap to smithereens halfway through winter.

I now have Burning Bushes, (please don't be mad about that, they have sentimental meaning to me, and besides, they are all around me) so I'm concerned about them getting it too. I'm considering wrapping them, or getting shrub jackets.. Remember this isn't about zone hardiness, it's about winter sun.

Has anyone EVER heard of burning bushes getting sunscald? My plantings get Full Sun from sunrise to sunset, and couple that with them being in the Southwest part of my yard, and I am thinking it's possible.

This post was edited by ilovemytrees on Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 0:59

Comments (2)