Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can Burning Bushes get Sunscald?

Posted by ilovemytrees 5b/6a Western, NY (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 19:40

Hi.

The way my yard is set up, almost all of my plantings are on the Southwest portion of my yard. Absolutely everything I have EVER planted has gotten sunscald, everything, except my Golden Raintree, which I have wrapped every winter. Even my European Hornbeam Fastigiatas I planted last year, known as Iron Wood, got sunscald last winter. I was pissed because we did our best to shade them strategically with burlap but the winds off the lake blew the burlap to smithereens halfway through winter.

I now have Burning Bushes, (please don't be mad about that, they have sentimental meaning to me, and besides, they are all around me) so I'm concerned about them getting it too. I'm considering wrapping them, or getting shrub jackets.. Remember this isn't about zone hardiness, it's about winter sun.

Has anyone EVER heard of burning bushes getting sunscald? My plantings get Full Sun from sunrise to sunset, and couple that with them being in the Southwest part of my yard, and I am thinking it's possible.

This post was edited by ilovemytrees on Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 0:59

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can Burning Bushes get Sunscald?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 1:22

Those don't have substantial, exposed trunks like the trees do.

o
RE: Can Burning Bushes get Sunscald?

can we see pix ... its been a long time ...

do you fert??? ... ferting things that dont need it.. can cause weird issues... just guessing here ...

and.. with scald ... i swear the damage can be years old.. before it SHOWS .... so this MIGHT be a transplant issue .. since your garden isnt that old .... and you tend to favor large transplants. if i recall ....

on a shrub.. one would expect.. even bare branches.. to shade the trunk from winter sun .... just enough to avoid such ... so we would then reject that theory.. and have to dream up others ...

as a shrub.. you would do rejuventation pruning on these.. over the years.. and damaged parts.. are removed ...

its an intrigue.. but not something i would lose sleep on .. nor worry about.. and i know you are a worrier ... so try not to

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here