Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the name of this shrub?

Posted by ilovemytrees 5b/6a Western, NY (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 20:25

Click on the link to look at it. If you click on the pic you may get a slightly better view.

It's the best I could do with my iPhone. Thanks in advance to anyone who can tell me.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Gardenweb Twitter

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the name of this shrub?

Sorry, but I can barely tell it's a plant from that picture.

o

brandon7 has a point. But mop head Hydrangeas would be that general shape and colour at this time of year. Can I discern some brown flower heads on there?

o

Sure looks like a mophead Hydrangea to me.

o

Sara, are you able to see something the rest of us can't? Floral's deductions seemed reasonable, but you seem awful sure for nothing but the picture I come up with when clicking on the link! Am I missing another link or something?

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 15:07

You can see enough of the general aspect for that to be a good guess.

o

'looks like' is the operative term! That would be my working hypothesis. With that kind of photo a guess is as good as we can get and I think that Floral went right there.

o

I think Flora is right also.
Mophead hydrangeas have that 'look' this time of year. I have about 25 hydrangeas, mostly lacecaps, but a few mopheads. That 'look' is the same as if I had my glasses off looking at one far away.
Mike

o

These kinds of posts remind me of Name That Tune, except with plants. I can ID that plant with 10 pixels..... I'd be terrible on Name That Tune, but would rather try that than trying to positively ID the plants in some of the pictures that get posted on GardenWeb.

As I said earlier, I completely followed and agreed with floral's reasoning, but wondered, because of the way the formandfoliage's post was worded, if there was something that would result in more certainty than that which floral originally stated.

o

There are different ways of identifying plants. I remember doing both close up ID of trees (vascular bundle scars, buds, etc) and far-off ID of winter trees (deciduous). If you do it enough you get to where the far-off aspect is as clear to you as the close-up, especially with some plants. You are simply using different characteristics to determine your ID. Once again, all I said was 'looks like'. Don't know why that sounds so certain. I would use that as my working hypothesis and then attempt to test it if at all possible.

Sara

ps and Mike that analogy of 'without my glasses' is a good way to think of it!

o

It was a Mophead hydrangea. Thank you everyone for responding. I was shocked to discover yesterday that the shrub was gone.

It was dug up, and either tossed out or transplanted elsewhere.

o

weird thread

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here