Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rabbit poop in soil

Posted by cdal1 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 20:39

I am getting ready to plant a bunch of elaegnus shrubs in my backyard to offer some privacy. I have constant access to rabbit manure from all of my rabbits I raise. What I want to know is when I dig the holes for the shrubs to go into should I mix the manure into the soil or just put it on top with the mulch, or do both?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rabbit poop in soil

Rabbit manure is high nitrogen so keep it away from plant roots until it has aged. Best thing would be composing it before using it in any manner.

o

transplants are in shock.. by definition ...

NEVER fertilize a stressed plant .. they are not stressed because they are hungry ...

if there is any indication that your soil is lacking something.. like nothing would grow there prior.. then have a soil test done.. and act accordingly ...

otherwise..study and follow everything at the link .. TO THE LETTER.. and that includes NO AMENDMENTS AT PLANTING ...

you are simply guessing.. and trying to love them .... and i have killed more things with too much love.. than i ever did with benign neglect.. but for proper water ..

just plant them properly ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Does it look like this?

o

Rabbit poop is one of the very few animal manures that can be used straight from the producer directly to the garden without fear of 'burning' - it is considered a 'cold' manure and composting is not necessary.

Rather than mixing it directly into the planting hole, just plant in the existing soil and use the manure as a top dressing or mulch, the same as you would any other organic mulch product.. Any of your plants will benefit from this application. It has the same effect as an organic fertilizer, with a slow release of nutrients to the soil over time and with rainfall.

I used to raise rabbits as well and never had quite enuf bunny berries to fill all my needs :-)) It's magic stuff!!

Here is a link that might be useful: benefits of bunny poop

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here