Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning Mountain Laurel

Posted by barb7901 Nothern VA (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 9, 10 at 20:52

We have a large Mountain Laurel. This winter with our 24 inches of snow, it was flatted, laying completely on the ground. It's come back and is healthy and green, but it's leaning a lot and is really too large for the front of your house. I hate to cut it down because it's a beautiful plant. How much and when can I cut it back without killing it? It's probably over 15 feet tall and 10 feet wide. I'd like it to be half that size.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning Mountain Laurel

I think they may actually be Skip Laurels.

o

If it is Skip aka Prunus laurocerasus, you can cut it right back to a stump. If it's a Mountain laurel (no relation), aka Kalmia latifolia, I have no experience of them. Thay are hard to grow well in the UK. You need to verify the id before people can advise.

o

Mountain laurel is a woody shrub, with a growth pattern similar to rhododendron, so I don't think that's what you have. I'm trying to imagine a mountain laurel being flattened by snow and then growing back, and I don't think that would be possible.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here