Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kazoonative

native shrub with red berries- ID??

kazoonative
16 years ago

Hi,

I'm new to the garden web. After searching through books and on the internet, I am hoping someone here can help me identify a shrub. A friend has them on the edge of a woodsline where they get at least six hours of sun. They were moved to this site from a previous home seven years ago. She was told the shrubs were invasive, but they have not multiplied, only grown. currently, the shrubs are six to eight feet tall with light, arching branches. In the spring there are white flowers and currently there are red berries. I am told there are some thorns, but I didn't see any. Can I provide any other info that would help ID these shrubs? I do have pics, but am not sure how to add them to the forum.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Comments (11)

• IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.
    16 years ago

Sounds like a member of the Crataegus (Hawthorn) genus. Probably not a "common hawthorn", but one other of the many cultivars that are now established in North America.
    Google Crataegus and see if it matches the tree that you are inquiring about.

Ian

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

Yes, pictures would help, even describing the leaves would help.

You can open a free account at a photohosting site (like photobucket.com). Upload your pictures. There will be several links given to you to use for each picture. Click on the one called HTML tag and it will say "copied". Come back here and paste that into this message. When you click "preview" you should see your picture displayed. Then we can see it. But even if you just give us the URL, we can copy and paste it ourselves.

You can also upload a 60K picture in the Shrubs Gallery here, but that can be a very small picture.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    16 years ago

Aside from the thorns, it sounds like Amur or Tatarian honeysuckle. It's a very invasive exotic that spreads by seeds.

• IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.
    16 years ago

I agree, mad gallica....if it doesn't have thorns, it could also be a Serviceberry...they seed themselves and tend to spread quite readily.

Ian

• kazoonative
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the ideas so far. My son has shown me how to post the pictures, so here are three. I hope they will help in identifying. Thanks so much! Tricia

{{gwi:282231}}
    In this picture, it's the silvery bush on the right hand side.

{{gwi:282232}}
    An overview of the way this shrub grows.

{{gwi:282233}}
    Up close of leaves and berries.

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

Could be Elaeagnus multiflora, not a native shrub. Are the back of the leaves silvery?

• IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.
    16 years ago

At first glance, I thought it maybe a viburnum cultivar, but I think that esh ga is right....

• kazoonative
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I looked up Elaeagnus multiflora, but noticed the berries hang as a single berry on a fairly long stem and the ones on the mystery shrub hang in clusters. Our local nursery suggested choke berry, but doesn't look right to me either. I will attempt to get a leaf sample to photograph both sides, and also a description of the flowers.

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Definitely an elaeagnus. "Multiflora" would seem to suggest clusters of fruits to follow the multiple flowers.

• kazoonative
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I went back to search the internet for pictures and elaeagnus umbellata seemed to be the right variety. Oddly enough, before I ever posted I thought Autumn Olive looked close. As I'm sure you probably already know, autumn olive is the common name for elaeagnus umbulata!! UConn's web site has a good description and some nice pictures. I guess the mystery is solved. Thanks so much for all the help!
    Tricia

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

Good detective work, kazoonative! Uconn is a great website. Autumn Olive is indeed classified as invasive in many states in the mid-west. People don't always see the effects of a plant's invasiveness around them. Some plants invade by runners, some by windblown seed - these types of invasion are more noticeable locally. Plants with berries (like this one) are usually spread by birds and the seeds can be dropped far from the immediate area.

My neighbor has elaeagnus (not this one) and the birds deposit the berries in my yard - I pull out 5-6 seedlings a year. If I didn't, I'd have quite a few of these bushes already myself.

Here is a link that might be useful: elaeagnus umbullata invasive information