Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fothergilla Broken Branch

Posted by mainegard3 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 16, 10 at 21:58

I bought a dwarf fothergilla this summer so it is about 2ft and turning some colors for fall. My 5 year old accidently stepped on it which made "time stand still" for me as I imagined the worst. There was one broken branch on the ground and another in tact but slightly broke in the middle. I know buds for the spring set now. With that said, should I just cut off the branch or will it kind of heal itself? As for the branch that fell off completely, I assume sticking it in the ground back into its center like a forsythia wouldn't help. Does this plant fill out fast in the spring? Sorry for the odd questions but I am quite frustrated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fothergilla Broken Branch

The branch is very unlikely to "heal itself", so cut it off. Sticking the loose branch back in the ground will probably not work, but it's worth trying. Fothergillas root very easily as long as they don't dry out.

Don't worry. Fothergillas are tough plants which sucker and spread from the roots - sometimes a little too agressively - so yours will be fine next spring and beyond even if it's too young to blooom next spring.

o
RE: Fothergilla Broken Branch

the simple rule.. on any plant.. is that broken or damaged branches are removed ...

there is no plant specific requirement on this ...

and that would include any branches that cross and rub on each other.. causing a festering wound ...

most shrubs ... once fully established.. can nearly be run over with a truck .. and live [though they may not be pretty for a few years.. lol]...

so anything a 5 year old can do is considered minimal ... shrubs .. by my definition are just that hardy .... unless you are collecting foo foo plants to show off your gardening achievements.....

but that doesnt include your plant ...

what would have made time stand still is if your 5 year old was hurt .. the damage to this plant is irrelevant ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here