Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaves of evergreen shrubs turn brown means death?

Posted by chueh 7b GA (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 24, 08 at 22:05

I have had some evergreen shrubs, such as bitter sweet. When I got them, they were all green. After a week, a few of them have no green leaves at all. All the leaves turned brown. It is a sign that they are dead, or they will produce new green leaves later..... Should evergreen need photosynthesis at ALL TIME? Once no green leaves means no photosynthesis, and it further means the entire plant is dead???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaves of evergreen shrubs turn brown means death?

I am not familiar with Bitter Sweet, but a quick google tells me that it is a deciduous vine (so it should normally loss its leaves in the fall). What else lost leaves? A true evergreen though (rhododendrons, holly, camelia, M. grandiflora or pine for that matter) should never completely defoliate, if it did, it's dead.

o

Evergreens do have any photosynthesis going on in the winter. Bitter Sweet are deciduous. One way to tell if a plant is dead is to dig your finger into the bark and peal it back and if you see green the plant is still alive

o

Well, peeling it back may be too extreme, but if you scratch gently at the bark, removing the top layer, the layer between the bark and the wood - the cambium layer - should be green if the branch is alive at that point. If it is brown/grey/wood color all the way to the wood, the branch is dead at that point. Try lower down in a few places, and see if there is green. If it's brown all the way to the ground, then the shrub is probably dead. HOWEVER, if the shrubs have been in the ground for a few months, don't give up hope until next spring, since if the root system is a nice strong one, shrubs MAY grow back from the roots. Suckering shrubs are especially good about this. If it's a grafted shrub, and it's dead to point of the graft, you might as well dig it out, as what may come back will be (less desirable) under-stock.

Have you been watering the plants? If so, how much and how often? What is the sun like, what is the soil like? How deeply did you plant, did you mulch, and if so, how deeply, how widely? How did the trees travel from the nursery to your house, who planted them, and how long had they been at your house (and how well watered) before they were planted? Knowing answers to these questions may help with advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here