Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mainegard3

Endless summer buds

mainegard3
10 years ago

Now my ES decides to pop it's buds out. They are about the size of a blueberry. I suspect it won't mature. What happened here?

Comments (10)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

what is it????

and you make it sound.. like we have the back story ... of which i dont recall ....

hyper fertilization can trigger abhorrent growth.. out of proper cycle ... [is that the right word ... ??]

ken

• mainegard3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken, do you mean what is the shrub? Endless summer hydrangea Bailmer. I did fertilize it a few times prior to August 1. The lower branches protected by snow had some blooms but that's it. Didn't expect the new growth to be delayed this much. This shrub is frustrating : o

• florauk
    10 years ago

Can you post a picture? Are they flower buds or foliage?

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Bailey Nurseries Endless Summer series features longer blooming hydrangeas. First introduction 'Bailmer' is marketed using [Endless Summer] The Original trade name, probably because it was the start of the Endless line everyone thinks it is called Endless Summer.

Since 'Bailmer' came out several others have been added, all of them Endless Summer hydrangeas.

• mainegard3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is one of many buds.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

I've got 'Blue Bird' doing the same thing. I don't expect heads with that appearance to complete development this late in the year.

• mainegard3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So how do I get these buds earlier in the year? Where and when will I see the buds on it for next year?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

The "reblooming" quality of these hydrangeas comes from their ability to develop flowers on both old (previous season's) growth and new (current growing season) growth. In colder climates, the latent flower buds on the old growth that develop in late summer or early fall are often seriously damaged/destroyed by winter cold. The result is that you miss the early (old growth) flowering but the plant can still produce blossoms from the current season's growth.

In long warm summers, these reblooming hydrangeas can continue to produce flower buds until they are cut back by cold weather, often fall frosts. How well these flower buds may mature and actually bloom is entirely dependent on your weather going forward :-)) I too wouldn't expect to see much happening now.

If you visit the Hydrangea forum you will find countless threads in the archives that discuss the unreliability of the flowering of this hydrangea. Unless winter protected, the flowering on older growth is nearly always ruined and flowering on new growth is often sporadic and delayed. My suggestion is that you treat these the same way you would any typically nonremontant Hydrangea macrophylla in zones 6 and below and offer winter protection. That seems the only way to ensure any sort of reliable flower production.

Kind of opposite the intent the breeder was trying to achieve, unfortunately.

• mainegard3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So if I try to winter protect these buds shown above, do they have a chance of blooming next year?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

The buds present now won't be held over intact to bloom next season but with winter protection you greatly increase your chances that any latent flower buds present will be able to bloom.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm