Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
veryzer

Purple flowered shrub

veryzer
13 years ago

First time on the shrub forum....I've been noticing fall blooming shrubs with purple flowers. The ones I've seen are no more than a couple feet tall. Any ideas as to what these guys are? If they stay small enough, I'd love to swap them for my spirea as accent plants for my day breaker roses.

Thanks.

Comments (10)

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Around here in Southern California we have Crape myrtles and hibiscus flowering in purple. Are the blooms big or little? Dark purple or more lavendar?
    Renee

• veryzer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

They're little. I don't know....maybe about the size of potentilla blooms. I see them from the road. I just googled crape myrtle but only saw pics of trees.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

What about Caryopteris? Or are you really seeing clumping herbaceous plants, such as asters?

• artdeco
    13 years ago

My guess would be asters.
    I've got some that reached 6'H this year. I didn't pinch them back in early summer so they're lanky & falling over.
    My mom has a variety that grows only 18" high, and they're a deep purple which can be seen from quite a distance. (Hopefuly she'll be dividing them soon...)

Here is a link that might be useful: Is this what you're seeing?

• veryzer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I'll have to sneak into somebody's yard, but I'm almost positive they're not asters and after seeing the pics, I don't think they're Caryopteris either. The caryopteris seem to bloom on stalks whereas these bloom more like...well...potentilla.

I'm out in the country, so if you hear about a prowler being shotgunned in Sycamore, Il in the next couple days you'll know why.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    13 years ago

Can't think of any purple fall blooming shrubs in zone 5. My guess is you're seeing either asters or mums.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

on the roads .. in MI ... dark purple asters are in full glory ... no one in my area.. has anyone planted the roadside strips for hundreds of miles ....

i would like to know if they are annuals.. or perennials ... and how i could get some of them in my meadow.... [probably regret that.. lol ].... i dont understand how they can flower so late... with frost just a few weeks from now.. and still set seed ... hmmm..

as noted.. i agree ... there are no z5 purple flowering shrubs ...

i think mr deco wins this one

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• veryzer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

They must be asters then. That's what I get for being almost positive.

Thanks.

• artdeco
    13 years ago

Hi veryzer - my uncle lives in Sycamore & I could easily imagine him grabbing his rifle cuz someone's creeping thru his yard! Lol - he wouldn't hit you - he'd just try to scare ya! But knock on his door 1st & you'll have a friend for life!
    Ken - I'd just collect some seeds from the roadside plants & try sowing them in various spots.
    I got New England Aster plants from a local native plant sale sponsored by a prairie conservation group.
    It's perennial but not too prolific around here - which is why it's an important restoration plant. It can withstand long drought & brief flooding, but I think a particular fungus can quickly eliminate them from an entire area.
    Rabbits chew on them in the spring, but it's not a big issue as they get side shoots & make a bushier plant.
    My mom got her short incredibly brilliant variety from a local store (most likely Wal-Mart) but she didn't keep the tag (if it had one) & has no idea about it's identity.

• zone5rose
    13 years ago

yes, the rabbits think they're candy--I have to put chicken wire around them in the spring. And they're heraceous, not shrubs. zone5rose