Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nikhilkumar99

Fragrant Ambrosia Abelia

nikhilkumar99
15 years ago

I have a fragrant Ambrosia Abelia bought from MI bulb company. It is growing (but very slowly). It is in the open, with full day sun, pretty well-drained soil. I was wondering if it is a very slow growing shrub (the one I have is very small). Also it took a long time to come out of dormancy.

Any suggestions?

I live in the Detroit Metro region (Bloomfield Twp). There will be some wind exposure in winter though it survived last winter fine, just not seeming to grow very fast.

Regards,

Nikhil

Comments (11)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

I'm not sure what you have......it may or may not be an Abelia :-) Michigan Bulb is notorious for mislabelling plants and for making up plant names (among a whole lot of other issues it is notorious for). I am not familiar with any abelia cultivar by this name and it is interesting to note that the only online reference is that of MI Bulb.

Regardless, I'd be extremely skeptical of the zone 4 hardiness they tout. Abelia is NOT a very cold hardy shrub - at best a zone 5 for some selections, but often acting as a dieback perennial in this situation, if even root hardy. Most often it is listed as zone 7 and borderline and typically fully deciduous in zone 6. The small size of your plant and it's appearance of not growing much may be the result of it just not being a good, hardy plant for your location. You may want to consider moving it to a more sheltered location out of wind exposure and with some reflected heat. But in your climate, I'd most likely wait until spring to do so and see if it even survives another winter.

And before you spend any more of your hard-earned gardening money on dubious product from Michigan Bulb, you might want to do some research on this company - they have a terrible reputation. The Garden Watchdog is a good mail order rating source.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Garden Watchdog

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

you might be the first person to actually have a living plant from MI bulb ....

as noted... we now have to wonder what the plant is ...

any chance of a picture???

ken

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Probably Abelia mosanensis.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ambrosia Fragrant Abelia

• ego45
    15 years ago

It's A.mosanensis.
    Those guys should get Nobel prize for creativity :-(

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    15 years ago

And BTW, A. mosanensis, while hardy through zone 5 and a great plant in the right spot--highly fragrant and with spectacular fall color--is a very large, rangy shrub.

• Tim Wood
    15 years ago

I'm sure it is Fragrant Abelia - Abelia mosanensis which is native to Korea and is hardy to zone 5, possibly Zone 4. The name Ambrosia is made up! It is a great plant and a good stong grower once established, but MI BULB sells micro-plants. Be patient as MI BULB plants are not for people that want instant gradification.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    15 years ago

Or any gratification. MI bulb plants are usually DOA.

• nikhilkumar99
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Finally started growing (took 2 years). Now I wait. Seems abelia mosanensis grows 10 ft by 12 ft. May have to move it then... Or propagate by cuttings and take this plant out, as it is in the middle of a rose bed.

BTW, notes on MI bulb company.

1. Many of their plants did grow (but most perennials are flowering or growing 2nd year).
    2. Their hydrangea and gaillardias did not (though the hydrangeas started and then seemed to succumb to a frost).
    3. Their hibiscus (hardy) all died.

Cheers folks!

• nikhilkumar99
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Now 4 years almost since I planted it. Got some flowers and it finally seems to be growing. It is affected by strong winds due to its leggy form (mine lost branches). Great fragrance.

• Lawmaking_gmail_com
    13 years ago

P.Allen Smith explained Abelia left ragged work well in cut flower arrangements. Their reddy fall color is from former flower petals. More sun is preferred over partial shade and protection from bitter weather is mandated.
    I am glad to hear you got a nice plant after 4 years. For gardeners with more time than money, cheaper small plants correctly placed can work. Young vegetation may adapt to the soil much quicker than mature ones are able to modify their big happy roots. Those with ample budgets can find instant coloring plants and help garden centers move their older plants.

• mackiefox_att_net
    12 years ago

I also purchased an "Ambrosia Fragrant Abelia" from MI Bulb in June 2008. It is barely 3 feet tall now and has never had blossoms. Everything else I purchased from MI Bulb that year died. Here is their false advertisement for the plant--which is no longer available:
    "One of the best shrubs we�ve found in some time. This cold hardy shrub is covered with sweetly scented blooms from late spring to early summer. Star-shaped flowers start out as pink buds and open up to white blossoms. Potted.
    Zone 4 to 9"

I doubt it will ever have flowers.