Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
saving a ornamental Malus by cuttings/scions?

Posted by linaria 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 2, 12 at 5:37

Hello there,
what is the best way to keep/save a Malus, if the original plant is too old to be moved? I have a garden project, the old Malus has to go and the owners seem to be quite fond of it.
And it is not just a box standard type, so I reckon the chances to get a young plant at a a nursery are very slim.
---
I was in contact with a nursery. They would do the grafting, but due to some kind of health and safety rules (Switzerland) they couldn`t keep it afterwards, the owners would have look after it.
Would it be possible and perhaps more bulletproof to take hardwood cuttings (about 8 inches or so) and stick those into the ground on a sheltered spot for a year or so until they root?

Not sure whether those plants would have the same oomph as ones with proper root stock.

Thanks for any hints and experience, bye, Lin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: saving a ornamental Malus by cuttings/scions?

There's an article on eHow that you may find helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to propagate a crabapple tree

o

Most malus are propagated by budding or grafting, not by own-root cuttings. There are a number of reasons for this. One of the most important is starting with a climate adapted and disease free root stock. Even if this particular variety could be rooted from cuttings, there would be a great deal more involved than sticking them in the ground in a sheltered place. There would also be no guarantee that the own-roots would result in a viable plant, let alone one with oomph.

The offer from the nusery seems very good, especially if they will hold them until they're sure the graft union has taken. If you had them graft several, there would be a margin for error. The owner would have to care for the potted grafts until they are large enough to plant out, but that should not present too many difficulties.

If there should happen to be another malus on the property, it would be possible to top graft scions from the desired variety onto it as another preservation option.

o

Hi,
thanks for your answers. It seems that suckers work mainly for plain species crab apples. By chance last Friday my boss and me made a dash to a nursery nearby to choose/ hand pick some trees. A nursery guy took us in a car to those plantings, and on the way I jumped on this chance and asked the guy exactly this question.
Without any hesitation he mumbled something like: grafting a bud, cuttings won`t work, stuff is always grafted, done in winter, then replanted.

----
so I come back to the firs nursery`s offer. As long as the garden owners pay attention and put some TLC into those very young grafted shrubs they should develop and grow into healthy plants.

Well, always learning, thanks again, bye, Lin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here