Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
skip laurel

Posted by stackpopper 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 6, 06 at 6:13

hi,

i have planted a row of skip laurels as a privacy fence, and they are doing splendidly. this fence is in full sun.

anyway, i want to continue a privacy fence, but this are will have partial shade, and another part will have a stronger shade. all of this is on a slope, and has good drainage. the soil is identical with the aforementioned fence....and has this wonderful tennessee clay-like soil.

any suggestions???? help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: skip laurel

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 6, 06 at 14:49

The decrease in light exposure will not eliminate the plant from the list of candidates. In fact, you might get a deeper, more handsome green with some shade - especially in your hot climate.

Out here Prunus laurocerasus is a weed species that often pops up in thickets and under trees near habitations.

o

I have three skip laurels planted in the sun. they have to be monitored closely so their clay soil does not get too dry or stay too wet too long. I actually had to even raise them about 10 inches on better draining mounds. One of them I even had to replace. Over the same period of time I had another Skip laurel planted directly in the clay and under the canopy of my mature Scarlet oak tree. It gets almost no morning sun but nice filtered midday and direct afternoon sun. This shaded skip laurel has always been healthier, grown and flowered better, and has never seemed to have suffered in the overly dry or excessive hot days. It also has never shown signs of stress during the cooler and more rainy days.

So, I agree the shaded area you described should be fine for you Skip Laurel, unless the slope is such that moisture drains away so fast out of the soil that the shurbs you plant experience too much drying of roots. The Shade you mentioned should slow down the shurb's moisture loss, but that will not solve a shrub's negative response to an excessivly draining dry soil all the time.

o

Most of my skips are under the shade of ornamental cherry trees. Watered the first year, but now only during periods of no rain at all. They aren't growing as rapidly as the one I planted next to the AC drain pipe, but nothing does.

My instinct would be to rototill in some organics before planting the privacy fence. But I am old fashioned that way.

o

thanks for all your wonderful advice. i'm on a bit of a hillside, and i was going to put some hardwood mulch to help the soil retain water, as well as use some good soil (i.e. not the wonderful red tennessee clay!) for when i do my planting. this area was fairly well wooded for many years, and it had leaves composting on it for ages. the soil looks pretty good, though there is some rock from the nearby roadside.

so here goes. i just ordered 65 of these babies. thanksgiving planting, here i come! cross your fingers!

o

They thrive in shade, even in cloudy England. But don't deliberately plant it in a dry spot just because they can tolerate abuse, they do prefer moist roots. They like rich soils, tolerate heavy soils, but tend to get mildew in dry soil and humid conditions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here