Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone elses forsythia blooming right now, lol?

Posted by vermontlove z4,(SW)VT (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 15, 09 at 7:56

I thought I was hallucinating. Then I looked up on this site, in this forum, and found out that this is not that unusual. It is a first for me, and I have had these few plants for 6 years. What an unexpected joy!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone elses forsythia blooming right now, lol?

• Posted by whaas 5a Milwaukee (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 15, 09 at 9:14

How about some pics!

I have several fiesta forsythias that still have most of their normal growing season leaves. Surprised after this many hard freezes.

o

Yes, I noticed mine currently is blooming as well. It's turned much milder and quite humid so maybe they think it's spring (pushing 70 F currently). I have seen them do this in previous years as well. I also noticed some blooms on the the succulent ice plants. The other shrub that is blooming is the Nandina (so-called heavenly bamboo--which is NOT any kind of bamboo), but it's normal for them I believe. Plants that normally bloom out of the main season are terrific and should be planted more. I used to have a Autumn cherry at a prior home and this thing would be covered in beautiful flowers in November and December.--I miss it!

o

pics? Ok, I will figure out how to do that. ;-)

o

I had one forsythia to bloom this fall.

I figured it was because it didn't bloom this spring.

It was an interesting sight ... yellow blooms against maroon fall foliage.

It didn't bloom as intensly as they do in the spring ... maybe a tenth of that intensity. I'll try to remember to post a photo this evening.

o

Here's my forsythia this Fall (next to a Winter Red Winterberry). I don't know the name ... neither did the nursery.

forsythia winterberry fall

o

My forsythia isn't blooming, but I've seen some rhodies around here with flowers - go figure.

My winter jasmine (Jasminum nudiflorum) is starting to bloom, which is a bit odd, but as the common name implies it DOES bloom in winter (usually, late winter or very early spring).

We haven't had a killing frost this year, just some nights that were right on the line, so lots of tender plants are still in bloom. Funny to see this assortment of fall, winter and spring bloomers all flowering at the same time.

o
By the way ...

Those colors are terrific, aegis500. I meant to say that above.

o

aegis what a pretty combination of spring and fall...lol. A nice surprise for you. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here