Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best time to move a Viburnum? (Alfredo)

Posted by mmqchdygg Z5NH (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 4, 09 at 8:20

I have a lovely Viburnum that needs to be moved. I estimated the size when I put it in its present location, and while I estimated correctly, it just isn't right for the space. When should I move it? Last time I moved it (2 years ago), it was only 1/2 grown, and I did it in April just as it was coming out of dormancy (or it might have still been dormant).
Now that it's full-grown (~4'x4'), I suppose I could still do it in April taking a giant root-ball with it, but if April isn't the optimal time to do it, then I'll wait.
Thoughts?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best time to move a Viburnum? (Alfredo)

in my z5.. perfect time was about 2 weeks ago ....

if taking a large root mass.. you are still within acceptable range .... just dont water it and create an ice cube in the soil ...should your soil not drain properly in time for freeze ...

in the alternative.. as soon as the soil thaws in late march or early april..

the more weeks between transplant and leaf out.. the better ...

most likely... it is one of those shrubs that you could run over with the truck a few times.. move it.. and then start beating it with a stick.. and it will survive... so just do what you have to do and be done with it..

good luck

ken

o

I moved Carlesi in late June and Trilobum in mid August. Both are fine, time will tell.

As Ken suggested, move it now or wait until after the soil thaws in spring.

In the Milwaukee area Viburnums are typically transplanted between early October and mid November (outside of spring time)

o

Yes, move with confidence. We dug up a V. lantana in late May a few years ago right after we found it growing out along the roadside. They are not called "Wayfaring" for nought....and we didn't take too large a root ball....and we didn't water it a great deal either. Can we think of a better way to insure that it might have been killed by improper following of the rules to transplant?? Guess what..here we are 6 or 7 years later and the darned thing is now 12 feet high and strong as an ox! Viburnums are tops when transplanting. If you can not successfully transplant a Viburnum, then take up another hobby other than gardening.

o

I agree. Move it this weekend.

I've done some real hack jobs on viburnums and they survived. There are many reasons why they are so popular. As Ken says above, you almost have to try to kill them.

o

Yes, yes and yes. I failed to mentioned that the Carlesi I moved was 12 years old and 4' x 4'. I took a rootball the size of maybe a #7 container. I only had a few branches die off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here