Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diggingthedirt

Is this Verticillium wilt?

diggingthedirt
14 years ago

I saw this disease mentioned on a thread about Cotinus, and now I'm concerned that it may be the answer to a question I've had for a couple of weeks - about three or more different kinds of woody plants in my garden

A pair of Cotinus 'Royal Purple' was looking spectacular one day, and the next day almost all the leaves on ONE of them had turned brown and shriveled up. A week later, one of a pair of crape myrtles (Lagerstroemia) that had been in glorious red foliage suddenly turned tan and shriveled - these were 2 different varieties, whose names escape me at the moment. Next to go was one (of 5) Stewartia pseudocamellias. Their fall foliage isn't too spectacular anyway, at least when fairly young, like mine are, but this was a seemingly overnight, total browning.

We had a VERY wet season; rain through all of June and several long wet periods with little heat through the summer. I've never had such awful foliage on tree peonies, most of which turned a uniform dark brown - even my trusty Viburnum rhytidophyllum (leatherleaf vib) had some sort of weird foliage problems (gray mottling) for the first time in about 20 years.

I'd like to see if I can diagnose this so it can be contained, If it's v. wilt, I've read that there is no treatment; so presumably the best action would be removing the effected plants.

Can I check for the cambium stain myself, or should this be done by a lab, or maybe by the Cooperative extension service?

Thanks for any advice - DtD

Comments (6)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

While cotinus is known to be susceptible to verticillium, neither the Stewartia or crape myrtles are recognized as being prone to this pathogen. That doesn't mean it can be eliminated as an issue, only that it is rather unlikely. There are other problems that can present similar symptoms of wilting or premature leaf drop but if this is just something that has come about in the past few weeks, I'd be more inclined to attribute it to a poor and wet growing season. Verticillium usually becomes evident in midseason, typically in the height of summer.

If you have concerns about the cotinus, I'd look to your extension service for a diagnosis. The staining often associated with VW is not necessarily always present or uniform -- sometimes tissue testing is required.

How is your drainage overall? If your soil drainage is generally good (wet summer aside), then I'd recommend waiting to see how these plants emerge in spring before I made any hasty moves. If it is VW, there's not much you can do about it now anyway but I'm leaning more towards just the effects of a poor, wet growing season.

• diggingthedirt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, gardengal. Drainage here isn't much of an issue, especially for the cotinus, which is at the top of a stone retaining wall. Our soil's glacial outwash, so there are layers of sand, clay and silt, with sand being the most prevalent. I've got 20 years worth of compost worked in to most of the beds as well, and being a compulsive digger, most of the clayey subsoil has been removed over the years.

My garden is probably too tightly packed with plants, however, so it's possible that another fungus is responsible - something that has hit the leaves directly. An airborn fungus seems like it would have a better prognosis, so I'm really hoping this isn't VW! I'll take your advice and see what happens next spring (I can't wait).
    Thanks again -DtD.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    14 years ago

can you tell the diff between mildew and fungus...

powdery mildew is the first thing that came to my mind.. and is prevalent wit a lack of air circulation.. in an over-stuffed garden ...

words just arent going to get you very far here.. you either need to post some pix... or head to the extension agent

good luck

ken

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    14 years ago

With the clayey subsoil, do you tend to get puddling after heavy rains? I have a swamp at the bottom of my yard. Because of the wet weather, the squish has seeped into more of the yard than usual, and areas that are usually fine aren't. This is what I'm attributing the sudden browning/leaf drop of a volunteer maple near the top of the swamp to.

• diggingthedirt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No puddling here, especially (now that I think about it) in any of the 3 locations where these shrubs are: top of the wall, my old vegetable garden, and a double-dug mixed bed that has never gotten any kind of compaction (because there's a low "dog fence" around it).

I have photos of the stewartia and crape myrtle in this album; actually 2 specimens of each, before and after, to show that one is completely brown and the other is still in color. Maybe this is overkill ... and I should just wait and see what happens in spring.
    {{gwi:282903}}wilt_fall_2009

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    14 years ago

frankly.. the pics look like my garden.. after the first hard frost ...

i do NOT grow most of the plants you ask about... but i do have a smokebush .. it is deciduous up here.. so browning leaves in november.. isnt all that surprising...

frost is a weird creature.. able to hit a whole plant.. or just parts of the plants.. especially in an over-stuffed garden ....

frost would also answer why otherwise evergreen plants for your zone might be affected ....

there is a website that tracks temps by zip code ... but i dont have the link .... see link

but i think you are on the right track ... its november... its not really time to be FIXING things with chemicals.. or jumping to conclusions about removal .. personally i would wait until spring and see what develops ....

one other oddity.. is that in your otherwise.. presumably healthy garden.. a bunch of diverse plants.. get a weird malady.. overnight.. again.. bringing me back to frost .... the odds of such is astronomical ... but for wild temp swings ....

good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: it popped into my head

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!