Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Accumulating Leaves

whaas_5a
14 years ago

Does any recommend cleaning out all the accumulated leaves from various shrubs in late fall vs. early spring?

I've typically cleaned it up spring when I'm full of energy but thought...are insecets and potential foilage diseases overwintering in those shrubs?

I'm sure its fine eitherway, just curious what everyones' thoughts are.

Comments (8)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

I have been thinking about this a lot since the subject of whether to leave the leaves on the ground was questioned in another forum. I usually do my clean-up in spring also. A lot of people say the leaves, if thick enough, can create a problem by keeping water from getting to the roots of the plants as evidenced by grass dying under a mat of leaves. I wonder if the grass is dying from lack of sunlight rather than lack of moisture as has been suggested.

I have also heard that mulch/leaves before a freeze can create a lovely winter bed for pests and I suspect that may be true, but I still tend to do a lot of my clean-up in spring-more energy as you say. We do get some of the leaves out around the azaleas, but there are always some left to protect the roots. This year, with a couple of new beds I'm creating, I think I will let all those leaves lie.

Can't wait to hear what others think!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    14 years ago

in my yard .... if they are on the ground.. they are mulch .... and ma nature will decompose them at her will ... that is how it works in the forest .. and on the plains ...

if .. like some conifers... they are caught inside the plant.. above ground.. they have the potential to trap water on bark.. and harbor critters ... and MAY need removing at times ... i wonder if this is a warmer zone issue ....

on things like crabs ... where one particular tree is prone to fireblight ... removal of all leaves in the area is helpful ... but i dont have that kind of time... if the blight bugged me that much.. i would tend toward removal of the tree.. and replacement with a resistant one.. rather sign up for a life time of clean up

basically.. clean the house.. let the garden go natural .. unless there is a specific problem [or you created teh problem with your choice of plant] ... only type A peeps HAVE TO CLEAN THE GARDEN .... wrap your head around that one ...

ken

• WendyB 5A/MA
    14 years ago

Admitted TYPE A here, but I mostly clean the beds to avoid extra comfy havens for voles/shrews. I have been hit hard by them in the past in the winter. I even have some leftover bark mulch and I am hesitant to put it down anywhere.

Also, I have mostly oak leaves here which aren't the best for letting water through and decomposing quickly. I like to shred them and save for spring light mulching or lasagna making. (well, actually I don't *like* to shred.. I pretty much hate it, but I do it anyhow, cuz that's what we A's do)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    14 years ago

AGREED.. vermin are a reason to remove everything that would encourage them ...

ken

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

I really like the look of leaves on the ground. Really. No, I mean it...I REALLY do...it's not that I'm lazy...really...

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Today was a good day to cut back the daylilies. So while I was out there I pulled out any large accumulation of leaves and just threw them on the lawn (hmmm...I think I need a leaf blower) and mulched them with the last lawn cutting of the season.

Speaking of voles, those buggers TEAR up my lawn, some years worse than others. I always make sure all mulch is pulled away from my shrubs. They make those crazy little tunnels in the mulch.

• Donna
    14 years ago

Point well taken, Ken, about the forest. If whole leaves would smother plants, why do forests survive?

On the other hand, THIS year I am cleaning out certain areas all the way down to bare ground, stripping off remaining leaves, and pulling them out of interiors before putting down fresh mulch. I had some kind of unknown disease or fungus, or something that caused lots of brown spots, reduced blooming, etc. on hydrangeas and some camellias. I don't want this "thing" to make itself at home and add on to the house by the end of winter. I'm not composting this stuff either. It goes to the dump.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    14 years ago

Those with vole problems: Eliot Coleman's most recent book (sorry, I don't remember the name, but he's the guy who grows and sells vegetables through a Maine winter) shows a picture with measurements of a vole trap that he says has worked terrifically for many years. I have a friend making one for me.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH