Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda1270

Looking for Help with Identification of Shrub with Red Berries

LindaMA
13 years ago

I live in Western, MA and the other day I rode by a home where there was a pretty good size shrub in the front, at first I thought that there were bright red little blossoms on it but after looking more closely, I saw that they were red berries. Can anyone tell me the name of a shrub that has bright red berries in the late fall? They were completely covering this shrub, the leaves were completely gone. I have been looking for a shrub that has red berries in with winter. It wasn't a holly shrub and it also wasn't any type of pine.

There is also a line of trees near one of the malls I visited last week that has red berries on them. They weren't very tall, looks as if they were about 3-4 years old. If anyone know what they could be, I would love to know.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Linda

Comments (9)

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    13 years ago

Winterberry - a kind of deciduous holly. It's very common in both the wild and cultivated landscapes.

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

I agree that the first could be Ilex verticillata.

The trees by the mall could be a type of Hawthorn (Crataegus) or a Crabapple (Malus) - assuming crabapples grow that far north.

• LindaMA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, I will look up Winterberry again, I really didn't think that was it because this shrub is very pretty and is shaped really nice. I didn't think Winterberry grew that tall and look that nice, I thought it was more raggedy.

I was almost tempted to drive by this house, stop and ring the bell to ask what the shrub was but decided against doing so.

Linda

• artdeco
    13 years ago

What was the shape?
    Upright, multiple stems...?
    My Viburnum Red Wing had quite a few berries until last week, and my common trilobum next to the other has more than 1/2 of its berries now. (The birds always strip the Red Wing first.)
    Doesn't Viburnum Opulus keep it's berries later also?

And how tall is "pretty good size"?
    Spicebush berries are alittle smaller & more oval; grows maybe 6' tall.

• aegis1000
    13 years ago

Winterberry can look very nice, and its berries last long into the winter. Mine have lasted till February, some years.

Winterberry comes in various shapes and sizes, but it grows pretty slowly.

The smallest popular variety is "Red Sprite", which should grow anywhere from 3-4 foot tall.

Most other Winterberries will slowly grow to 8-10 foot tall. Of these, the most successful are "Winter Red", "Aftergolw", and "Berry Nice".

The thing to remember with Winterberry (and all Hollies) is that you will nedd a male plant to fertilize your berry-bearing female plants.

Popularly used male Winterberries are ...

Jim Dandy - for early bloom fertilization
    Southern Gentleman - for later bloom fertilization

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

Could also be some form of cotoneaster - they come in both deciduous and evergreen varieties. A C. bullatus in my old garden held its bright red berries through most of the winter until the robins finally devoured them in February. I often used them in holiday decorations.

• LindaMA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

artdeco, it's hard for me to see the size and shape of the berries, as it's on the side of this house and I've only seen it from the street. It appears to be covered in berries and looks to be about 6 feet tall. The shape is hard to explain, the more I look at it, the more is appears to be a little stragely rather than dense and compact. It probably is a winterberry bush. From what I've read, winterberries aren't really a favorite of the birds, at least not until late in the winter when all else has been eaten.

I love the looks and color of the shrub I've been seeing, the berries are so bright, you can see them from down the street. It almost looks like the shrub is covered with bright red flowers.

I'm pretty sure I will purchase a male and female in the spring. I will have to investigate the best ones to get for zone 5.

Linda

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    13 years ago

I'll play the the no-pic guessing game. How about Aronia arbutifolia (Red Chokeberry).

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Aronia

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

I have met the nicest people by knocking on a front door and asking about a specific plant. I really don't think you should hesitate to do so, too.