Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please Help Save My Shrubs!!

Posted by tantadoodles z6 CT (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 4, 09 at 10:01

I impulsively purchased many potted shrubs in the spring of this year ('09) that I have yet to plant in the ground. Unfortunately, I have run out of time to dig the bed that they were supposed to go into.

Is there any way to save them over the winter to be planted in the spring?

The shrubs in question are: Rhododendren, Endless Summer Hydrangea, Winter Gem Boxwood, and True Dwarf English Boxwood.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please Help Save My Shrubs!!

You've just made a little extra work for yourself, that's all. Unless the ground is frozen solid I would go ahead and plant the shrubs, pot and all, so that the lip of the pot is buried, in an existing bed. In spring, when the forsythia blooms, dig up the pots and carefully cut them away from the root balls. Trim any circling roots, water well and plant as you would normally. Otherwise you'd have to treat them like large houseplants, this way they will get acclimated to the outdoor conditions in your yard at least.

o

the key is: GET THEM DORMANT.. KEEP THEM DORMANT ...

there are many options:

if you have a veggie garden.. and draining soil .....just dig hole and stick the pot and all in ... 'hold them over' until ground thaw in spring ...

get a couple bales of hay .. and group the pots and surround with hay .... and loosely put some inside the contraption ...

place them on the north side of a building... out of all winter sun.. and protect from winter wind ....

any of the above should work .. again.. get them dormant.. and keep them dormant .. and protect the pots from winter wind and winter sun ... black pots get hot, relatively speaking.. and you cant have thawed roots and a dormant plant ...

and do NOT allow melting snow or rain fill a frozen pot with water ... and create an ice cube ... roots need air.. as much as water in winter .... if nothing else.. just knock the pot over after it freezes to avoid such ...

good luck

ken

o

Thanks! I will stick 'em in the ground close together in their pots in an existing bed. It won't look pretty but hopefull they'll all survive till spring when I can fix the situation!

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here