Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown boxwoods

Posted by chuck1856 z7 - SE Mass (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 11, 12 at 10:17

Hi,

I planted a a couple rows of boxwoods along my walkway about 18 months ago. They did fine until about 6-8 weeks ago when they started going brown. I have others planted a few years ago that a just a few feet awy and are doing fine. I can't understand what happened to these! Any thoughts much appreciated. Someone told me it might be insufficient nitrogen, so I gave them a mild dose of miracle grow a couple weeks back but t is pretty late in the fall.

As you can see, some shoots are tan/brown and others are still green. They are not dropping many leaves, even looking as unhealthy as they do. Will these plants die completely? Anything I can do to help them?

Thanks
Chuck

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown boxwoods

never 'feed' a stressed plant ... ever ..

now.. tell us about summer ... anything like my 6 weeks over 100 ... severe early frost/freezes in may .. and 12 weeks of drought????

when the brown 'shows' .. means nothing.. the injury had to be weeks.. if not months earlier ... what was your watering regimen ...

and also discuss with us.. how that lawn is kept pristine ... does the damage tend to favor the side on which the lawn is sprayed with chemicals.. per chance???

you said: As you can see, some shoots are tan/brown and others are still green.

==>> no i cant see such on this pic.. how about something a bit closer... recovery is in the buds.. even on a barren branch.. if those survive.. they should releaf next season .. if those are also damaged.. or dead.. well.. there is no predicting ... what you will end up with ...

also.. how were they planted.. did you do it.. were the plants severely rootbound coming from the pot ... what if anything did you do in that regard ...

finally.. is this south facing ???

more info please

as of right now.. there is nothing you can do.. until spring .. except wait ... to see how they react ...

ken

o

Judging from what I can see in these pictures, I must agree with Ken, looks like chemical damage from whatever is being sprayed on the lawn. I would think frost damage would have affected the plants in a more uniform way, and most of the damage appearsmto be on the lawn side.

o

It could be the boxwood fungus that is spreading on the East coast. Contact your local extension office, they would be very interested if it is this blight.

Frank

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here