Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with Texas Sage?

Posted by jennyfire 5B (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 18, 12 at 12:39

I fell in love with the Texas Sage bushes at HD this past summer that are topiary shaped & purchased two. I planted them in two separate large containers. They did beautifully over the summer and flowered from June until October. I am in Zone 5B in southwestern Ontario and am not sure what to do with them for the winter? For the moment I have put them in my unheated garage... should I bring them indoors, or are they fine where they are?

Thanks for any advice in advance!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with Texas Sage?

google says its a z8,9, 10 plant ...

i doubt it will work in the garage ...

and it isnt a houseplant.. you can try.. but dont be surprised if it doesnt work .... too bad you didnt use a systemic on it a month back or so.. to prep it for bringing it in the house ...

many things sold in foo foo form at bigboxstores .. in topiary form.. are simply sold as annuals ... and not meant to be held over ... they want you to come back and buy them abain next year ....

dont get me wrong.. give it a try .. but dont be surprised ... if it fails ...

a WAG.. dont keep it too wet.. nothing in TX has wet roots .. lol ...

ken

o
RE: What to do with Texas Sage?

How cold is your garage likely to become over the winter? Your plant isn't likely to survive if the root/soil system freezes for days on end. The plant can tolerate temps of less than 15F if properly planted in the ground and established. A containerized plant doesn't have the protection of the surrounding earth.

I also worry about the lack of sunlight for this sun loving plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here