Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Which species keep dense in the shade?

whaas_5a
11 years ago

Are there any particular species that tend to stay more dense in the shade like plants grown in full sunlight? I have a need for quite a few specimens that will need to range in different color, texture and form.

For example burning bush is one but I don't plan to plant one.

Comments (9)

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

I wouldn't agree that burning bush in the shade are as dense as those in the sun. Probably the way to go about it is to look for plants that resemble 'Compactus' burning bush in that they are already quite dense to begin with, and also able to grow in the shade.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

also two procera ... what??? abies procera???

ken

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My question wasn't stated properly. I wasn't necessarily meaning that the plant stays the same density whether they are in full sun vs. shade but a particular plant that is dense in the shade.

Lack of vigor, no problem. Just don't want leggy specimens as you typically see in shaded areas.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You just gave me an idea with that Abies procera comment.

I forgot that Abies lasiocarpa is very shade tolerant.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

Plants that are shade tolerant (or even shade preferrant) will not get leggy in shade - they are genetically programmed to thrive in low light conditions so do not develop etiolation under those conditions like most sunlovers would.

There's a long list of shade tolerant shrubs and an even longer one if in a zone that will include more broadleaved evergreens. Yews, boxwood, fothergilla, itea, euonymus fortunei, various viburnums, rhodies and azaleas, daphne, clethra, leucothoe, kerria, hydrangeas, Japanese dappled willow, shrub dogwoods.......etc. Not all of these are necessarily dense by nature to begin with but they certainly won't become any more leggy in a shady position.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions, a few that I hadn't thought of.

I've been cruising several lists but I'm not having much luck with hardy wind tolerant plants that are also shade tolerant.

I didn't want to limit the suggestions so I left out a few details so where we go!

Area 1:
    South exposure but completely shaded by mature lindens. Gets two hours sun at most. EXTREMELY dry location that is mostly sandy. Mature evergreen screen blocks wind from the south but otherwise somewhat open. I'm planning on using abies lasiocarpa glauca compacta and varigated Aralia to brighten things up. Some nice golds would be nice...hmm a plant that stays golden in the shade?

Area 2:
    North exposure up against the house. Maximum two hours sun.
    One a slope but good moisture. Somewhat of a micro climate but strong northeast winds. I was considering Fothergilla gardenii and...

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Ummm...er...ah, hemlocks, perhaps? ;-)
    I keep hearing 'Everitt's Golden' needs sun to color but mine on the north side of my garage keeps decent color.

Picea omorika also do quite well in shade (native to steep north mountain slopes).

tj

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Indeed! Wonder if the hemlock will be unhappy with the northeast wind?

Otherwise a couple nice white variegated cultivars that might look nice there.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

"Wonder if the hemlock will be unhappy with the northeast wind? "

This is SE Wisconsin. The species can take it in Michigan's UP. Yes, cultivars can be more tender, but we're talking two full zones south.

tj

Sponsored
ABC Glass and Mirror
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars46 Reviews
Northern Virginia Leading Shower Glass and Mirror Designer