Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pruning dogwood shrub

Posted by ivamae ONT (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 12 at 13:16

We live in S.W. Ontario.
Should I trim our dogwood shrub in the fall or sping.

Thanks for any info.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pruning dogwood shrub

there are at least two types of dogwood ... and we need to know which kind you are talking about ...

there is the tree.. and the shrub ...

and the rules for trimming each.. would be different as to method ....

a pic would sure help get you precise info ...

either way .. i darn well prune stuff whenever i feel like it ...

ken

o
and i meant to add ....

and i meant to add ....

if we are talking red-twig or yellow-twig dogwoods..

heck.. run it over with the truck a few times.. and pick up the pieces.. any time of year.. you can barely harm the things ...

if it is this type shrub.. cut the oldest branches.. as close to the ground as possible [3 to 6 inches].. do NOT cut at height ... see link ...

finally.. its been forever since i had one.. but isnt it a winter color thing.. if so.. enjoy for winter.. and cut in late winter ... but if its really pissin you off.. go at it.. and dont worry ...

if you are talking the tree type .. see other rules..

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Since one of the major attributes of shrub dogwoods is their intense winter stem color, pruning it at the end of winter is the most appropriate time. Some folks coppice them or cut them all back - others cut back only selected portions. Whatever method you choose, the newest growth typically has the best bark color, which fades in intensity as it ages.

ken, ken, ken - can you try 25 words or less :-))

o

not when i am bored..

ken

ps: of which apparently i am not right now.. lol .. [16 words!!!]

o

Thanks to both of you. It is a shrub and I''ll be glad to leave it until early spring. I hate doing it but it does look nice where it is.

o

hate doing what ...

pruning rejuvenates the plant.. its good for it ..

and it makes you happy.. by keeping it inbounds .... one might say ..

there is no downside to proper maintenance ....

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here