Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
specimen shrubs

Posted by rhcha Sothern CA (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 11, 12 at 13:31

I have an irregular(400sq ft) area that is covered with crushed granite (3/4 inch) stone and bordered by woodland trees. Sun exposure ranges fron none to partial sun. I want to break the area up with specimen evergreen plants no taller than three feet. Any ideas as to plants and number of such. Water is expensive so low water requirement plants would be helpful.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: specimen shrubs

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 11, 12 at 17:22

Where in southern California?

o

and what do you mean by the term 'evergreen' ... it has a multitude of usages ...

conifers ??

evergreen trees ??

or shrubs ...???

and while you are at it.. define more precisely.. partial sun ... in terms of hours and which hours ... 8 hours of sun.. is part of a day.. but could be considered good enough to grow full sun plants ... but on the other hand.. one hour of sun.. could be called partial ..

and finally .. not much is going to stop growing at some magical height.. and maintaining it at some height.. usually involves pruning ... is that an option .. in the long run ...

and boy.. a pic would sure help us define it all ...

more info please ...

ken

o

The location is the Los Angeles area valleys, near Pasadena. As for sun conditions, filtered sun for maybe three hours a day for part of the area to very bright shade all day for the rest of the area. Pruning is an option but we really want to keep anything planted to two to three feet. Our interest is in shrubs only but any plant that is green all year.

Thanks for looking.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 12, 12 at 16:38

Maybe Rhaphiolepis.

o

In my experience with Rhapheolepis in the deep south, if not grown in as much sun as possible, they will be plagued by a disfiguring (and worse, if not treated) leaf spot disease....Entomosporium.

Seems like we've discussed this before, bboy. Didn't you say that this disease was not a problem in the PNW? In the south, these plants had better be planted in the full sun, where they thrive.
They are also very drought tolerant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here