Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lilac fan in Bay Area California

Posted by rosefolly Z9/S16 NCal (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 19, 13 at 14:02

I don't get a lot of winter chill so the 3 lilacs I have so far were all bred for my low chill conditions, Ralph Moore's 'Blue Skies', the Descanso hybrid 'Angel White' and 'Sensation'. I'm not sure that last one was actually bred for low chill, but it blooms well for me here. Only mildly fragrant, but a good fragrance. Another recommended for our area is 'Miss Kim', but it lacks the true lilac scent I crave.

On a trip back east I fell in love with 'Yankee Doodle'. I'd love to plant it here. Does anyone have any idea if it would bloom for me? Someone once suggested that withholding water in the summer (once established, of course) would trigger the dormancy needed for bloom. Easy as pie to do that, since we don't actually get any rain at all in the summer.

Rosefolly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lilac fan in Bay Area California

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 13:57

That's not the same as winter chill.

o

the root issue here.. is zone pushing ...

and when you are doing such .... its all about micro climates ...

and the fact.. that you arent ever going to find anyone else with your exact circumstances ...

so when you get to that point.. you simply buy one.. and try it.. in your little micro climate ...

in this day and age.. with mail order ... you shouldnt need to invest more than 2o to 30 bucks for a babe .. and hopefully less ... and you go for it ...

i would not suggest investing 2 or 300 bucks in a large specimen ... besides.. babes acclimate easier ....

good luck

ken

o

Ken, I would agree with that. Besides, it is easier to fit them into gopher baskets!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here