Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whisperp

Golden Shrub Daisy- winter

whisperp
14 years ago

I bought a Golden Shrub Daisy (Euryops pectinatus Viridis)

this summer. Didn't realize it was only hardy to 20 degrees F.

Is there any way to winterize this plant without

digging it up and bringing it in the house?

How about burlap?

Any help appreciated!

Mary

Comments (5)

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Buy a new one next spring.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    14 years ago

shrubs are not house plants ...

you dont tell us what zone you are .... a little burlap.. MIGHT get you one zone... but not 2 or 3 ....

we all try pushing zone... usually it doesnt work .. live and learn... either enjoy them as annuals.. or move on in your choices ..

good luck

ken

• whisperp
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't know whether to call it a shrub or
    a perennial. The tag said
    "Golden Shrub Daisy".

I'm in zone 6a so I guess I have to
    bring it in if I want to save it.

Mary

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Won't live through the winter outside there. Won't like being inside, unless you have a bright and cool greenhouse. Not a rare and expensive item, I would not take the trouble myself. You will have to rid it of bugs before it comes in, and it is rather late for a plant to be brought indoors - ordinary indoor conditions will be like a sudden blast of summer after it has been outside nearly into winter.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

Hi Mary,

I'm not familiar with this plant, but I did a bit of searching and it seems that it is easy to propagate from cuttings. Perhaps if you try to overwinter it indoors, you can take a few cuttings in case the original plant doesn't make it.

Personally, I don't do well with overwintering plants indoors, so I rarely do it. Maybe you have better luck. I guess if it's going to die outside anyway, you have nothing to lose by bringing it in, right?

Good luck!
    :)
    Dee