Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shrub ID?

Posted by ritmatt 7b (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 23, 12 at 15:34

Any idea what kind of shrub this is (the one with the red leaves)? It has bright red berries and is growing in a yard in western NC. The owner thought it was a Nandina but it looks nothing like the Nandinas in my yard in GA.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shrub ID?

Here's a photo of the berries.

o

Looks like Euonymus...I live on the other side of the country and we don't have native Euonymus here, but Euonymus americanus is native in your area, has similar fruit and leaf arrangement, and is known for stunning fall color. Try Googling images of E. americanus and see if it resembles your shrub. You are correct, it is NOT a Nandina!

o

F&F - I think you were close, but after doing the searches you suggested, I now think it's Euonymus Alatus or "Burning Bush". Interestingly, it looks like it's considered an invasive species in North Carolina, but does not appear to be listed as such in Georgia.

Thanks for your help!

Here is a link that might be useful: Euonymus Alatus

o

Update: Looks like it IS listed in GA as a "Category 4" invasive species.

o

You're welcome! Sure does look like E. alatus!

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 23, 12 at 22:54

Fruits are diagnostic.

o

yes indeed! Even at the dna level...

o

the winged branches are diagnostic for me .. they almost look square some times [which is rare in nature] ..... when there arent berries on it ...

and the fact that it ended up... free range in a yard.. answers just about all questions of whether it is .. or should be considered invasive ...

ken

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 24, 12 at 13:17

At least one other fairly prevalent cultivated species, with different fruits has ridges on the stems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here