Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hibiscus-Rose Type Flowers

Posted by goodhors z5 MI (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 5, 12 at 16:16

I wondered if anyone has a name or variety for a Hibiscus type shrub I recently saw in Florida. I am sure this shrub was in the same family as Rose of Sharon (Althea type) type Hibiscus because of the leaf shapes and similar developing seed pods. Sorry if I am using the wrong terms, but I have seen folks use the names interchangably talking about those kind of shrubs.

The flowers were WONDERFUL, almost cabbage rose or peony sized with many petals, big as a saucer. The stems were tall on the older, larger shrubs, maybe 10ft. Did not appear to have been pruned. Flowers were pink and white/ivory colors. The store had them in the front garden, but store was closed each time we went by so I couldn't ask anyone about them. I filched the biggest seed pod I could find, but I am sure it wasn't "mature" so I don't know if the seeds will be viable. The other pods were very small, flower petals had just fallen off, so they wouldn't have been any good for sure. Lots of buds, so it appeared to have just started blooming in this location. Shrubs were located on the Florida Panhandle, Santa Rosa area. It was rather brisk there last week, upper 30Fs!

So if anyone has a name, source, for this kind of Hibiscus/Rose of Sharon (Althea), could you share it with me? I would love to grow some here, but this shrub might only be hardy that far south. I love the big flowering plants, shrubs, so this one really got my attention.

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hibiscus-Rose Type Flowers

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 5, 12 at 18:18

Maybe Confederate rose or Chinese hibiscus. The first has big, lobed maple-like leaves, the second not so big and dark green. It is the tropical hibiscus frequently sold as a potted flowering plant for indoor use in the north, comes in many colors.

o

I think you saw Hibiscus mutabilis, confederate rose, in full bloom in the area the past couple weeks. The flowers start white and turn shades of pink as they age.

o

Thank you both, it appears to be the Confederate Rose. I looked it up for more description.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibiscus_mutabilis

The picture to the right sure looks like what I saw. The only disagreeing part, would be that some of the flowers were still very white as evening approached on the bushes I viewed, instead of pink or reddish by the end of the day. It is only hardy to zone 7. DARN IT! I was prepared for the disappointment though. It is so attractive it surely would have been planted more widely if it could survive the cold weather.

Again thank you both very much for the ID help. At least I learned more about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Confederate Rose

o

Wiki is wrong about that. Flowers can be white for more than 1 day before beginning the change. You gotta keep your eye on Wiki.

o

Well thanks for that bit of knowledge on the color! Everything else fit the shrubs well, just the flower color thing was off. With me not knowing the shrub, I "believed" the Wiki information. I greatly appreciate your help in finding this lovely shrub's name.

o

You're welcome. Wiki rocks, but I consider it a starting point to confirm or deny, not a definitive reference.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here