Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goodhors

Hibiscus-Rose Type Flowers

goodhors
11 years ago

I wondered if anyone has a name or variety for a Hibiscus type shrub I recently saw in Florida. I am sure this shrub was in the same family as Rose of Sharon (Althea type) type Hibiscus because of the leaf shapes and similar developing seed pods. Sorry if I am using the wrong terms, but I have seen folks use the names interchangably talking about those kind of shrubs.

The flowers were WONDERFUL, almost cabbage rose or peony sized with many petals, big as a saucer. The stems were tall on the older, larger shrubs, maybe 10ft. Did not appear to have been pruned. Flowers were pink and white/ivory colors. The store had them in the front garden, but store was closed each time we went by so I couldn't ask anyone about them. I filched the biggest seed pod I could find, but I am sure it wasn't "mature" so I don't know if the seeds will be viable. The other pods were very small, flower petals had just fallen off, so they wouldn't have been any good for sure. Lots of buds, so it appeared to have just started blooming in this location. Shrubs were located on the Florida Panhandle, Santa Rosa area. It was rather brisk there last week, upper 30Fs!

So if anyone has a name, source, for this kind of Hibiscus/Rose of Sharon (Althea), could you share it with me? I would love to grow some here, but this shrub might only be hardy that far south. I love the big flowering plants, shrubs, so this one really got my attention.

Thank you.

Comments (6)