Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fuchsia boliviana - prune or not?

Posted by xanthoria 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 24, 12 at 17:03

I have a Fuchsia boliviana "Alba" that I forgot to prune last year. You're supposed to prune when flowering is over but it never really stops here in CA, and in fact the plant appears to be growing well right now.

Should I prune it now? Wait til January/February? Just leave it and hope for the best?

It's kinda mashing an ornamental grass right in front of it, which I could move...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fuchsia boliviana - prune or not?

Like most other fuchsia species, can be pruned at will. I'd pick the season when flowering is at its lowest ebb and right before major growth occurs....probably late winter/early spring in your zone. This would also accommodate any damage caused by an unsual cold snap in winter, which is always possible.

Even in late November I have two fuchsias still blooming their heads off.....and neither are considered to be particularly hardy. These are much tougher shrubs than most folks give credit for.

o

Thanks! Do you think I should prune it though? Or move the grass away from it? Will it flower more if I prune it?

I forgot to prune last year and it looks pretty good IMO

o

You don't HAVE to prune anything. If it starts looking leggy then you could prune it. I'd prune it, if you want to, and also move the grass. The Fuchsia's going to grow back to the same size next year and the grass is going to get crowded again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here