Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID please

Posted by cyn427 z7aN. VA (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 17, 12 at 19:35

Hi all. This is a volunteer that has popped up right next to our house in the back. I figured that it must be a weed since it grew so well and quickly in the summer. DH didn't want me to get rid of it because "well, at least it is green!"

I will post two pics for you. TIA for any ideas. It would be so lovely if it is something I should keep.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID please

Well the photo had better be upside down. It is a sort of Privet, I believe, but not the most commonly planted kind.

o

whatever it is.. it sure looks like a tree .. growing 6 inches from the house..

IMHO.. its gotta go ...

thought there are things that can be espaliered ... MOST OF THEM .... are not FREE RANGE ...

you buy a specific plant for such.. and you plant it there ...

it is simply a problem for the future ..

i am no pro at Id.. but it sure looks like all the weed elms i have all over the garden ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: other post

o

Thanks, Ken. That seems to be the consensus-love the "free range" comment. Perfect description-ha! It will come out this weekend.

Thanks again and happy Thanksgiving!

o

if its that close to the foundation.. nothing should ever be planted that close..

so i would just cut it at ground level.. and treat with 100% roundup or stump killer on the cambian layer.. and be done with it ...

i would not bother to dig it up ...

ken

o

Will do. Much easier. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here