Second pic:close up of leaves

Posted by cyn427 z7aN. VA (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 17, 12 at 19:38

Here is a close-up of the leaves.

Thanks again.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Second pic:close up of leaves

Does this post belong to another thread? I don't understand its purpose.

o

Yes, the first is the post asking for ID which has a wider shot of plant. Didn't mean to have two threads-this new picture upload thing has thrown me off and I seem able to post only one picture per post. Should have added this pic in same thread as first. I am an idiot. Sorry.

o

The serrated edges of the leaf makes me sure it is not a privet, and I am at a loss, now. My Corylopsis pauciflora has leaves somewhat similar,but it is turning yellow, now, and the leaves are not as glossy as the ones in your photo.

o

My hunch is it doesn't look like something that is cultivated but rather wild; you might want to try posting over in the "Name That Plant!" forum.

o

Thanks for the responses. Since we are a little bit south of you, bogturtle, the yellowing may be a little later here. We haven't had much cold yet and I do have a few yellow leaves at this point.

Mistascott, thanks for the idea. I will try posting on that forum. So many of my plants seem to be slow growing. For that reason, I agree that it is probably wild. The things that I would love to have grow quickly, don't! Very irritating that something I didn't plant is flourishing!

Thanks so much.

o

whatever it is.. it sure looks like a tree .. growing 6 inches from the house..

IMHO.. its gotta go ...

thought there are things that can be espaliered ... MOST OF THEM .... are not FREE RANGE ...

you buy a specific plant for such.. and you plant it there ...

it is simply a problem for the future ..

i am no pro at Id.. but it sure looks like all the weed elms i have all over the garden ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: other post

o

I believe Ken is correct--it is most likely Ulmus parvifolia. You certainly don't want a tree such as this growing so close to your home, so you'll definitely want to remove it while it is still small.

Stefan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here