Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Second pic:close up of leaves

Here is a close-up of the leaves.

Thanks again.

Comments (7)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    11 years ago

Does this post belong to another thread? I don't understand its purpose.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, the first is the post asking for ID which has a wider shot of plant. Didn't mean to have two threads-this new picture upload thing has thrown me off and I seem able to post only one picture per post. Should have added this pic in same thread as first. I am an idiot. Sorry.

• bogturtle
    11 years ago

The serrated edges of the leaf makes me sure it is not a privet, and I am at a loss, now. My Corylopsis pauciflora has leaves somewhat similar,but it is turning yellow, now, and the leaves are not as glossy as the ones in your photo.

• mistascott
    11 years ago

My hunch is it doesn't look like something that is cultivated but rather wild; you might want to try posting over in the "Name That Plant!" forum.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the responses. Since we are a little bit south of you, bogturtle, the yellowing may be a little later here. We haven't had much cold yet and I do have a few yellow leaves at this point.

Mistascott, thanks for the idea. I will try posting on that forum. So many of my plants seem to be slow growing. For that reason, I agree that it is probably wild. The things that I would love to have grow quickly, don't! Very irritating that something I didn't plant is flourishing!

Thanks so much.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

whatever it is.. it sure looks like a tree .. growing 6 inches from the house..

IMHO.. its gotta go ...

thought there are things that can be espaliered ... MOST OF THEM .... are not FREE RANGE ...

you buy a specific plant for such.. and you plant it there ...

it is simply a problem for the future ..

i am no pro at Id.. but it sure looks like all the weed elms i have all over the garden ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: other post

• stefanb8
    11 years ago

I believe Ken is correct--it is most likely Ulmus parvifolia. You certainly don't want a tree such as this growing so close to your home, so you'll definitely want to remove it while it is still small.

Stefan