Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
evergreen shrub with white fragrant flowers holly leaves

Posted by jenncolls zone 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 14, 10 at 21:40

I planted two small shrubs in my yard a few years ago. I don't know what they are but would like to get more. They have very small white flowers right now and they smell so sweet and fragrant! The leaves look like holly but I don't recall them having berries. I have looked at a lot of holly photos online and can't find one that looks like these shrubs.

What are they?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: evergreen shrub with white fragrant flowers holly leaves

Perhaps a type of Osmanthus.

o

esh ga is probably right.

Check the leaves. Osthmanthuses have opposite leaves on the stem while hollies have alternate leaves.

In zone 6 it's probably O. heterophyllus (holly osthmanthus).

There are more tender species, like O. fragrans, that will knock your sox off with their fragrance!

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 19, 10 at 1:18

I noticed after the nasty 1990 winter that browned many evergreen trees and shrubs in this area the hollyleaf osmanthus was one kind (other than predictable types like hardy hybrid rhododendrons and hardy conifers) that stood out for remaining pristine.

o

It is an osmanthus. Thank you! Could anyone provide guidance on when to prune it? It has had flowers for the last several weeks and looks like I will get at least a couple more. Trim after flowering or in the spring??

o

If you must trim, probably in late winter/early Spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here