Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fothergilla, witch alder. Can I grow it?

Posted by char35 Tx 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 24, 11 at 22:45

I'm looking for a foundation shrub and read about the fothergilla. Does anyone know if it will grow in east Texas? It would have to tolerate 100 degree temps and high humidity in summer, and temps as low as 20-30 degree in winter. I found a post from Oct. of this year from someone in Minn. who was growing the plant and had trouble with it growing in the unusually hot summer. Ofcourse, our winters are much different. I'd appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fothergilla, witch alder. Can I grow it?

I'd look to the dwarf version, Fothergilla gardenii. This is native to the southeastern US, including hot, humid and even coastal locations like Florida, a few of the Gulf states and both N and S Carolina. Fothergilla major is more of a montagne species and likely less suitable for your climate.

This is not a drought tolerant shrub - needs a moist, acidic location.

o

I was thinking of using the 'gardenii". I have grown azaleas in the spot where I would like to plant it, but because of growing trees, I no longer have enough sun. The Fothergilla seems more tolerant of shade. Now, if I can just find the shrub in our area. Thank you for your comments.

o

if you can not find the shrub in your area.. that is usually a good indication that it will not be easy to succeed ... when this happens.. mail order.. if you wish to pick up the challenge ...

the title to your post made me chuckle.. OF COURSE YOU CAN GROW IT ... the issue is when will it die ...lol ... everything will grow for a while ... the issue should be attacked from the other direction..which of your seasons.. will put it over the edge ... lack of winter.. too hot in summer ... etc ...

if i were you.. i would research its favored CULTURE ... and figure out which of its cultural requirements.. will be the biggest challenge in your garden .... soil.. sun.. heat.. humidity... drainage ... etc

good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: can you provide well drained evenly moist, rich acidic soil????

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here