Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help ID shrub: viburnum or grandiflora hydrangea?

Posted by musik_mama 5a (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 5, 13 at 23:02

Hello all and thanks in advance! We moved into a 100 year old house in March...and I have spent a lot of time learning about all the things growing around our home and how to care for them. :) I uncovered a short but wide stump in front of our porch, where the previous owner (house flipper) had planted ugly dogwood close by to hide it. Late summer, these babies had all popped up. For the the last few weeks, I've thought its viburnum, but I'm not so sure...I think the leaves are closer to hydrangea.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help ID shrub: viburnum or grandiflora hydrangea?

I think Hydrangea..possibly Ayesha

o

I second Hydrangea, could be 'Ayesha'. Usually the heads are bigger but this looks like a young plant.

o

I'm not sure---I've looked up Ayesha, and the proper zone for that is 6-9. I'm 5a in Iowa. After a bit of time, the flowers turned a blush pink, and darkened to a mauve color. I'm not seeing if Ayesha starts with white buds or pink/blue. Also, wondering how the leaves are arranged, but I can't find a good description. Does anyone have a good "go to" detailed source for plant descriptions?

o

It was mostly the shape of the petals and the arrangement of them that reminded me of Ayesha, but no it does not start out white. It has very glossy leaves, which also remind me of Ayesha, but I think definitely a Hydrangea.

o

fyi my Ayesha

o

You should certainly post more images than just the one, to show whole plant(s), leaf arrangement, etc.

I think you definitely have a Hydrangea there (probably Hydrangea paniculata selection or seedling), and that is definitely NOT a viburnum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here