Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to do with unfortunate cotinus?

Posted by xanthoria 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 4, 12 at 23:33

I have a Cotinus coggygria in the garden - it's been growing there 2 years.

It was trained to a standard when I got it, about 2' tall. The first year i pruned it I was told to remove 1/2 of the length and the result was unattractive long, whippy stems all over the place. Ugh!

I would prefer it to grow as a shrub, not a standard shape. Can I cut the main trunk to the ground almost and hope it comes back? One or two smaller sticks are coming from the base now.

If so, how short should I take it?

If not, how should I prune it?

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to do with unfortunate cotinus?

it would depend if it is a graft.. what it is grafted to.. and if there is a secondary graft just above the roots ...

or whether it is a trained .. non-grafted specimen ...

unless someone knows specifically .. we MIGHT be able to help with some pix

ken

o

OK, here's a pic showing the top of the standard (another to come)

o

And here's the base of the trunk - you can see 2 other sprouts from the base (with has the same colored leaves as the main plant)

o

what is growing out of the branches near and at ground level???

does it look the same as the top???

bottom line.. if you dont like it at height.. lop it off at the ground.. see what happens.. the worst is that you still dont like it.. and get rid of it ...

ken

o

Cotinus make those things near the growing when they are cut or damaged. The best thing to do is to choose one and cut the rest off. After about 2 years, it settles down and lets you have one leader. They grow pretty fast, but never become as well built as a central leader. I have one that has drowned, twice. It should be eliminated, but I don't need the spot and it costs me nothing. I must be the only one with a 10yr. old Cotinus coggygria less than 5 ft. My obovatus didn't even bother to come back from the first drowning it got. That and a Chionanthus virginica, both really really didn't like wet feet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here