Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
margi1533

Keep or switch the Issai beautyberry?

margi1533
13 years ago

I planted an Issai beautyberry this spring and it bloomed and even had a little fruit. However, I was at a nursery the other day for something else and there were two other varieties of beautyberry available there: Early Amethyst and Profusion. Even though it's December and we've had snow and cold weather already, both of these varieties in the nursery had way more berries on them than my shrub, which kind of disappointed me this fall because the fruits were so tiny I could barely see them unless I was right next to the plant. Should I just be patient and hope that next year the berries will bloom earlier and be more numerous and big enough to see easily? The nursery plants were in much bigger pots than the one I got via mail order, so my plant is probably not as mature as these were, but the whole reason I bought this shrub was to enjoy the beautiful berries - and I can barely see the few that appeared very late in the fall. Should I wait and see what happens this growing season or buy the loaded-witih-fruit Early Amethyst while it's still available in the nursery?

Comments (6)