Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gr8gr10

Fast & Dense Hedge, in Partial Shade: Which Plant??

gr8gr10
13 years ago

Hi, I live in Fresno and am trying to find the densest, fastest growing evergreen shrub that I can to provide the privacy from neighbor & their dogs which I crave.

The soil here is clay, & there are significant stretches of the hedge which are fairly deeply shaded--which is due to some conifer, mature Xylosma trees, a Raywood Ash, mulberry tree, and fig tree that are already competing for soil and sun along stretches of the fence between me & neighbor.

I attempted Photinia from 1 gallon starter plants, but after 2 years, the plants are only about 4-5 feet tall and spindly. Maybe in 10 or 15 years they would get the job done, but that's too long for me to wait...

I wonder if Xylosma Congestum is a good choice, or Cocculus Laurifolius? Any other suggestions and stories from similar soil, climate, and competing trees/bushes that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comments (6)

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Photinia likes sun and good drainage. Maybe with some mulching, watering and fertilizer you could get a nice, dense Bambusa hedge more quickly that with many other kinds.

If Fresno is suitable for that plant.

There's a hedges and screens table in the plant selection portion near the front of the Sunset Western Garden Book.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

4-5' in two years from a 1G starter plant IS pretty fast growth for photinia -- lack of density is due to less than ideal sun conditions, as previously mentioned.

Fast growth is relative, especially if you are inclined to start with such small plants to begin with. Time to establish and to put out normal growth rates will vary, but starting with something larger at the outset would certainly speed up the amount of privacy provided. Various species of bamboo could provide needed height for screening rather rapidly but are not the only choice - podocarpus, choisya, laurels and euonymus are tolerant to varying degrees of shade and tend to grow rapidly. Not all that familiar with xylosma but from what I can tell, not a particularly fast growing shrub.

Again, if you start with larger plants to begin with or something that already offers some height - like many bamboos - the privacy screening effect will be more immediate.

• scardanelli
    13 years ago

Though invasive and not popular with some, Blond Privet (Ligustrum simense 'variegata') would work well for your needs. It can take some shade and grows extremely fast. You could let it grow into it's natural rounded shape, or prune it into a high flat hedge.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Blond privet? The most familiar variegated Ligustrum sinense is white variegated. And not very common around here. More usual for a yellow variegated privet would be L. ovalifolium 'Aureum'. But blond to me would be best as a common name for 'Vicaryi', which produces all yellow tinged leaves instead of those mostly with a whitish or yellow margin.

There's some spread of privets onto available land out this way but probably they are much worse in the rainy summers of the eastern half of the continent.

• hald
    13 years ago

Your choices will work well. I live in Fresno, too, and have used these in similar conditions. Xylosma can be beautifully sculpted, and does very well in light shade. It's drawback, to me, is it grows a bit fast if you like to sculpt or formal hedges. It loves Fresno's summers. It's not naturally a very narrow plant but makes good narrow hedging. Mine seem comfortable at about 4 ft wide. Be sure to keep up with topping because it can grow into a tree.

In my yard I have evergreen viburnums that have large somewhat shiny waxen leaves. Mine are clipped so have never bloomed. They seem to withstand everything. Mine are in shade and full sun, planted in average clay soil, and a few in hardpan soil that is as hard as concrete. They'll grow into trees if allowed. I prune them in our cool season. I wish I knew their name. They're used in the southern U.S. a lot along freeways.

Also consider Carolina Laurel Cherry. I have one in my back yard. Really fast growth into a handsome small tree that can be clipped.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Does blue plumbago grow in Fresno? It's fast, dense, and pretty, but it may not like the winters. I have seen it here in Simi Valley in both sun and shade. It gets woody inside, though.

Renee

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting