Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It's NOT a full sun plant for me

Posted by laceyvail 6A, WV (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 2, 13 at 6:29

Several years a go I planted a grouping of Deutzia gracilis 'Chardonnay Pearls'and it's been a problem ever since. For one thing, it has no tolerance for the very common late frosts and freezes we have in spring--even if I cover it, the buds brown and look awful. And despite its being advertised as full sun to partial shade, it simply can't handle full sun and the leaves tend to brown in summer. This spring, it's out of here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's NOT a full sun plant for me

I have 2 of them - one in a large container and one in the ground, in partial shade. They both seem to be water-hogs and last summer I neglected to water one and it turned completely brown. Cut it back severely and will see what happens next year. When it blooms though, it is stunning.

o

That is helpful...I have "Spring Sensation," and it is still in its nursery pot because I couldn't decide between two sites. I'll go with the wetter, less direct sun spot and see how it goes!

o

Mine have always been happier in large pots with good drainage (I love deutzias and long for a revival). I grow them under lilacs in a degree of dappled shade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here