Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrgpag

Source for Boxwood botanical names

mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
12 years ago

I need a reputable source for the correct nomenclature for boxwood. Searching the Internet produces a varied assortment of botanical names for the same cultivar or form. And I need a source that is current with the latest introductions if that's possible. I was thinking about 'Boxwood: An Illustrated Encyclopedia' by Lynn Batdorf but I'm open for better suggestions if there are any.

Marshall

Comments (12)

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

As with all such questions a survey of the literature will be required to get a good view of the matter, rather than trying to rely on a single reference. Pieces of the puzzle will be found here and there, which are then used to fill the holes.

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK - I'll present this in a different way. Say an arboretum wants to review all the boxwood in their collection for proper/current/correct botanical names based on cultivar names - where would you suggest they start?

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

I would think plant patents would have the right botanical parentage listed for any registered cultivar names.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

Say an arboretum wants to review all the boxwood in their collection for proper/current/correct botanical

====>>>>presuming you have an old name .. wouldnt google bring up a change or newer name???

sounds like a PITA .. lol ... [that would be .. pain in the buttacles]

ken

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Rephrasing the question does not change my answer. I'm acquainted with the new boxwood encyclopedia, as I bought a copy myself and gave it to the local horticultural library. Even a recent monograph like this I doubt I would depend on solely to resolve any specific labeling issue, but rather I would be likely to check all pertinent-seeming sources of information I could find before making a decision.

This is one of the reasons I cringe whenever someone comes on here and says the Dirr manual (or whatever) is the last word, the only reference you need and the like. That just is not how it works.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

The American Boxwood Society is the international cultivar registration authority for that genus, so should have more information than any other source. They are the ones that determine which cultivars are official cultivars! Lynn R. Batdorf, the curator of the National Boxwood Collection at the US National Arboretum, is the actual ICRA registrar of Buxus for the ABS. So, I guess you could say that, at least in this case, there's a "last word" after all.

Here is a link that might be useful: The American Boxwood Society website

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Batdorf is behind the new encyclopedia, a Boxwood Society publication. Again, I would not say that all you have to do is read what he (or they) says about any single question and be sure every time it is all you need to know, to get it right at your end. The world is more complex than that.

And new box cultivars continue to be introduced, so I don't think even a tome this recent will have all the "latest introductions". The internet, with its scope and plasticity is pretty much kicking the asses of printed reference manuals at this point. However, I continue to consult both.

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

seems like there is so much variance in boxwood species depending on who you talk to so I doubt there is no cut and dried source. Probably best to pick a source and stick to that. Recent introductions aren't too difficult to track as most are patented or trademarked plants - it's the old varieties that seem to change whenever the wind shifts to a different direction.
    Thanks for your comments
    Marshall

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"--there is no cut and dried source" should read "--there is a cut and dried source"
    Marshall

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

Your discussion might benefit from separating out thoughts about species nomenclature from thoughts concerning cultivars. Understanding of phylogeny improves with time, hopefully clarifying relationships between species, etc. Specific cultivar names shouldn't be in flux, although mistakes can sometimes be made and corrected. It might also be a good idea to avoid the term "variety" unless that's really what is meant. The word has a specific meaning when discussing taxonomy, but is often misused (or at least used with a much broader meaning) in casual/non-technical conversation.

• viburnumvalley
    12 years ago

I think our good fellow from the Dayton area will be on track to consult the new boxwood text as a primary source for current nomenclature. The USNA isn't exactly a slouch when it comes to doing its homework. I would imagine that this text would have extensive references noted and a long bibliography supporting its documentation.

That said: when changes/corrections come along that are substantial and verifiable, then you have a point of departure upon which you've relied - rather than a mix of opinions from all over the place.

I don't have the recent boxwood text, but I do have a number of texts regarding a single genus (Malus, Ilex, etc.). The quality authors will state what they believe the plant to be, and back it up with data (references) and often anecdotes or histories of the plant's selection and naming. This gives you a point of departure if/when someone offers a different answer than the one you've chosen.

To argue over whether a certain person's text is the "end-all be-all" isn't particularly useful, since taxonomists and the DNA testers will be with us forever - and trying to adjust nomenclature forever. Being human, and all. What should/could be stated is that is one of the best for its time (like Rehder, Bailey, Krussman, etc. - even Jacobson), but that newer information further informs the base of knowledge.

I think if you are interested in woody plants and express this interest in the eastern half of the US, and don't have one of the multiple versions of Dirr's text, you are working with one eye closed. I'll never say this text is the only answer to anything - but it's vast array of information from identification to locations of specimens to the author's opinions spanning 40 years in multiple employment sites, well, it is nearly if not definitively unmatched for gardeners/horticulturists in this part of the world.

Sure, there are errors (as with most texts, AND much more frequently on unedited and un-peer-reviewed websites) but these are typically corrected with updated editions or errata publications. Even the homeboys on the west coast stub their toes, or need updates to their bibles.

In addition to the Batdorf text, mrgpag might benefit from contacting the owner of Pine View Nursery in Leitchfield, KY. This gentleman has spent the past few decades passionately pursuing, collecting, propagating, and growing all the Buxus selections he can lay his hands on. It looks like he offers over 60 taxa currently.

He doesn't slack off on all things Ilex as well, nor in the vast range of plants offered at his relatively small place of business. He could use a few more viburnums, though.

You could contact him through his website - I'm sure he'd be a trove of information and advice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pine View Nursery

• PanhandleLady_6b
    9 years ago

Lynn Batdorf's book may be a serious reference but I have a bit of a time parting with the price. I have what I believe to be a Japonica, but the leaves don't seen to be matching well enough..... but the size of the tree seems to fit as does the placement of the leaves on the branches... any website I might refer to?