Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pre-emergent granules stuck to Barberries - Leaves now gone?

Posted by MattVA81 Zone 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 10:38

Hello,

I hadn't realized it, but in spreading Surflan (pre-emergent weed screen granules) this summer, I'd gotten a bit on my Royal Burgundy Barberries. Now, the leaves have not grown and the shrubs--despite trying my best to brush it off--look almost as if they're dead.

What should I do about this? I hoped they would be okay if I trimmed them back in late Winter.

Thanks for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pre-emergent granules stuck to Barberries - Leaves now gone?

its been a long time.. but i thought they were deciduous for me in z5 ... leaf loss should not necessarily be an indicator of death ... [really trying to be an optimist here.. lol]

what do the buds look like.. i cant see in the pic ... any evidence there are viable ones there???.. or are are they all gone??? that might be your future...

what about trying to root those pieces left ... i know it can be done.. but i have no experience with such ...

now.. should we discuss SAFE AND PROPER application of chemicals.. or is that lesson closed.. lol .. i will presume you dont need/want a lecture .. and the subject is closed ...

bottom line.. only time will tell ..

ken

o
RE: Pre-emergent granules stuck to Barberries - Leaves now gone?

Yes, AFAIK it is deciduous. If you bend a twig does it snap off dryly (ie it's dead) or does it bend and show green within when it breaks? (ie it's alive) FWIW it looks alive from what I can see. Maybe next year mulch could solve your weed troubles instead of chemicals?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here