Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Arctic sun dogwood pruning

Posted by mainegard3 5b-6a (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 12:42

Hello,

I'd like to have many new stems coming up from the ground.
If you look at the pic you will see two main stems with new wood growing off of that. I'm thinking a rejuvenation cut to the ground, maybe one base stem at a time might trigger the regrowth I want from ground up. Thoughts are welcome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Arctic sun dogwood pruning

well.. i gotta tell you .. i have repeatedly complained about sideways pix.. but you are the first to get one upside down .. lol .. and man is it giving me a headache.. lol ... seriously.. i cant even focus on it .. lol .. and i bet its a GW issue ... not you ...

tell me.. is there about 3 - 6 inches.. then a major Y???

and how long has it be in situ???

if its only been a year .. leave it alone ..

second year.. lop off one side of the Y ... maybe to encourage it..

but in all reality.. it will sprout from the base.. when it is darn ready too ... whats your hurry????? [and i am speculating on this.. by looking at google images of it .. i dont have one]

the roots will send up shoots.. when it has a mature enough root mass ... if you just go chopping it off.. removing a majority of its canopy.. the stuff that will grow the roots.. it may .. or may NOT... recover ...

it is probably a run it over with the truck type plant ... like the other dogwoods or this type ..

i am just wondering if its vigorous enough.. at this time.. to use the truck ...

anyone know if there is some reason this would be a grafted plant????

good luck

ken

o
RE: Arctic sun dogwood pruning

I appears more like 2 rooted cuttings than a single stem which branched.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here