Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Florida Anti-Social Shrub Suggestions?

Posted by Dunning 9B (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 15, 13 at 14:57

All:

We would like to plant a few shrubs along the back fence for privacy from a neighbor, we're just not sure what to plant. A few factors would be that it would be near a pool, so less shedding (clearly not the word for that lol) would be great, keeping its leaves all year even in Central Florida would be good, quick growing perhaps? Edible berries or am I pressing my luck :) ?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Dunning

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Florida Anti-Social Shrub Suggestions?

Though there are plenty of great evergreen shrubs, all shed some leaves at some point. ALL.

There's no getting away from leaves, flower petals, and other normal plant stuff when you have shrubs near a pool.

o

Seriously, this was the most helpful reply :) ?

Dunning

o

Sorry you got a negative reply with no suggestions. I would suggest Viburnum awabuki or one of the Pittosporum cultivars- two relatively clean evergreen shrubs. Both should be available in local nuseries.

Here is a link that might be useful: Viburnum awabuki 'Chindo'

o

Sorry you got a negative reply with no suggestions. I would suggest Viburnum awabuki or one of the Pittosporum cultivars- two relatively clean evergreen shrubs. Both should be available in local nuseries.

Here is a link that might be useful: Viburnum awabuki 'Chindo'

o

as with all pool conundrums.. i suggest a privacy fence at the pool..

and whatever your heart desires for a plant... on the far side of it ...

its the only solution to the pool cleaning issue

in other words.. its a pool issue.. not a plant issue ... as you yourself suspected ... when you stated: am I pressing my luck :) ?

ken

o

There are many pools that are landscaped beautifully with many different plant selections. Some are even designed to look like a pond in the woods- it is all about plant selection. Check out some pools in the neighborhood to get an idea, you have a much wider palette to choose from than most of us. Personally I can't stand the pools just plonked down with no leafage, with that bare desert look.

o

Is the fence a see-through type like chain-link? Otherwise, what is the height of the view you need to block? Would adding some lattice to the top of the fence for vines help? What is the exposure to sun in the area? A pic of the area?

Palm trees come to mind, of course. A mixed planting of various types of plants would probably be the most interesting for you to look at, and most effective at creating a more solid 'barrier.'

o

• Posted by jcalhoun 8b Mobile County AL (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 25, 13 at 8:48

I agree with rhizo and ken.

Stating that, there are several holly varieties that will work as a hedge and be evergreen. Yaupon and dahoon hollies are native to FL and don't have the spines.

o

I see the non-dwarf forms of Ioxra used to great effect in Florida.

Here is a link that might be useful: Info here

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here