Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emerogork2

Chick-a-dees stripping my Star Magnolia

emerogork
9 years ago

Illusion or reality but I have never seen this before.

Just this morning, I saw about 50 chick-a-dees in my Star Magnolia and for the most part they were just perched there. Some seemed to be picking at the stems but by the time I saw the activity, they stopped and I would not really see what they were doing. Either they were picking at next year's flowers, new leaf buds or just honing their beaks.

It is not for lack of food as it is so early in the winter, no snow on the ground, I have feeders and many perennials in the gardens sporting seeds.

I see that the last 6" - 8 " of many branches do not have flower buds on them but that may be the growth that happened after the buds were set.

They flew away en-mass as they tend to do and it left me wondering if I should cover the plant with bird netting but that would be really challenging as the bush is at least 15' tall and wide.

I now have a time\lapse camera set up but they do not seem to be returning.

Is this all in my imagination?

Comments (14)

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Many tiny critters live on tree branches. And if your branches have any moss on them, an entire population lives within each clump. Your tree will be fine.

• emerogork
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do believe that the tree will be fine but I am concerned about the bloom.

This stems from an incident with a rubber tree a few years ago. When it sprouts new leaves, they are encased in a bright red shroud. Sparrows were pecking at the red parts and, what showed up much later when it unfurled, they had damaged the developing leaves significantly.

At the moment, I still feel good about all this but would still like to hear if anyone else has seen it.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

why dont you go see whats on the plant ....

of what use is filming them doing it ...

i wonder about scale.. though i have no clue if such are eaten ...

i know the finches are still around .... but i havent heard any chickadees ...

first link at link says they dont favor feeders ...

as to your imagination ... hmmm .. i will reserve comment ... lol ...

i am just having a hard time not going totally juvenile with birds from the tit family .... second link at link .... sometimes its really hard .. to be grownup .... maybe i can discuss it with the 12 year old .... he ought to get some mileage out of it ... whats a dad for.. if not to inspire greatness in his children ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

the link says:

And the CHAMPION Pest-Eating Birdie IS...
    Even birds who are seed eaters the rest of the year prey on insect pests in the Spring, when they need extra protein to raise their young. That's why savvy organic gardeners feed and provide nesting boxes for their birds. The champion pest-eating birdie is the cute little chickadee. That's right, they're not running up and down the sides of trees and shrubs to amuse us, they're eating nasty bugs like scale, borers, and destructive caterpillars. 90 percent of the chickadees' diet is insects, and most of those insects are pests. And don't let their small size fool you; a 1920 study estimated that each chickadee can consume up to ONE THOUSAND bad bugs every day! No wonder those little birds are so round!

==>>> still thinking up a lot of off color jokes ... lol

go look at your plant ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

We don't have Chickadees but they are in the same family as our Tits (quit sniggering). These little birds consume large numbers of tiny invertebrates and are particularly fond of of aphid eggs which overwinter on trees and shrubs. I welcome them any time a flock chooses to give my garden a going over. I've never heard of them eating or damaging Magnolia flower buds.

• emerogork
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have an interesting picture in my mind of a Magnolia full of tits...
    (-:

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

The behavior is called 'gleaning'. See attached link for a thorough explanation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click me

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Another interesting thing is that the tits often come through in mixed flocks i.e. different species working together. And they call to each other all the time. I often hear them before I see them. It really is a lovely experience to stand in the garden with these tiny birds fluttering round your head twittering all the while.

• jujujojo_gw
    9 years ago

These birds eat insects. They remove pests from your trees. They are beneficial.

• jujujojo_gw
    9 years ago

â¢Posted by floral_uk 8/9 SW UK (My Page) on Sun, Dec 21, 14 at 6:41

... and the sometimes funny looking bushtits ...

• emerogork
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"These birds eat insects. They remove pests from your trees. They are beneficial."

Not all are beneficial. An overpopulation can be rather detrimental, no?
    Then maybe I am just over reacting to a bout with wood peckers...

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

An 'overpopulation' wouldn't be there long. They would move on to adequate food. When it's gone at your house, they will find another garden. I agree you are overreacting. Just enjoy them, thank them for removing whatever bug might cause you trouble later, they aren't hurting anything.

If you're lucky, maybe a pair or two will stick around and nest there. When I've had chickadees nesting in my yard, I'm amazing at how many times during the day they will go to the nest with chicks, carrying caterpillar/worm/larval type things....and likely each one of those components of the multiple daily meals would be otherwise feasting on leaves of my plants.

• emerogork
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My grand mother used to say "They are as horny as sparrows, as soon as the eggs are hatched, they are 'at it' again..."

• sam_md
    9 years ago

Illusion or reality......
    ILLUSION