Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nandina coloration

Posted by hortster 6B S.central KS (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 24, 12 at 15:32

I know that someone out there will comment on the invasiveness of nandina, but with two in the yard for 15 years I have seen not one volunteer. I think it depends on the soil, zone and the cultivar because I HAVE seen 'Plum Passion' be very invasive around here. Anyway, my two aren't.

I noticed this odd coloration on a lower cane of this non-varietal N. domestica. Apparently something restricted the vascular system, causing the leaf tips to "tan" out quite evenly but has left the centers of the leaves alive (at least at this point). The pattern is kind of pretty at this time of year with the berries as an accent.

hortster

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nandina coloration

Probably a volunteer of Nandina 'Holiday Hues' that got seeded into the clump.

o
RE: Nandina coloration

I might have a new plant patent in the offing here! 'Holiday Hues' - I like that! brandon7, save this post for royalties...

hortster

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here