Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allergyvictim

Green hedge around pool ,suggestions?

allergyvictim
9 years ago

We need to plant green hedge around the pool to cover the ugly wooden fence we have, 3 features we are looking for in the shurb or tree
1-it does not attract bees so kids swim without worrying about getting stung
2-Not poisonous to kids
3-fast growing

This might be hard to find but any
suggestion is appreciated !
we live in S CA

Comments (8)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

hey

teach the kids to ignore.. and not swat at bees going about their own biz .....

feed your kids and teach then that you provide food.. not the freakin bushes around the pool ....

and NEVER plant anything fast growing ..... else you will be asking us next .. how to prune down that 40 foot shrub ..

what you NEED.... is NOT defined by the parameters you have listed ...

lets start by asking.. where you are.. whats your soil.. whats the pool water.. and will that be an issue with the plants [aka slat water/bromine pool] .... give us some info we can work with ...

and tell the kids to quit browsing the fauna.. crikey.. they arent deer .... 'rents provide food.. dammit.. quit eating the bushes. .... lol

more info... PLEASE ....

ken

• allergyvictim
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lol Ken you cracked me up
    Kids will be fed and instructed before each time they go for swimming :)

Signs will be posted around the pool
    ( Don`t Mess with Bees )

I live in Thousands oaks CA, zone 10, the soil is good quality ,not sure what would you call it but when I dig I don`t see much of clay .
    Regarding the pool, this is my first time to have a pool in house so I am not sure, I remember the pool guy one time saying to me that salt water cells need to be replaced so probably it is salt water

Zakke

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

If you do a web search for "plants around swimming pools" lots comes up. But if you look at the pages on the subject in the plant selection guide section of the Sunset Western Garden Book (Sunset Publishing) you can see which plants they think will grow in your Sunset climate zone (whereas online articles will have to be sorted through to find regionally appropriate plants).

Otherwise, what it boils down to is plants that won't mind being near the treated pool and won't give off small parts that will fall in the water and get into the filtration system.

• allergyvictim
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback
    After long research I have decided to plant Polygala myrtifolia ( sweet Pea ) around the pool
    and around the Spa I ll be planting Tuscan Blue to
    spread its fragrance, I am so excited to come up with this decision :)

• User
    9 years ago

allergy,
    If you change your mind, Pittosporum would also be perfect for around your pool.
    Salt spray tolerant, people on the beaches use them, perfect for your climate, easy to prune and grows nice and thick.
    I have the tobia, the all green shrubs in full sun, and also there is a varigated one too, which I have and think it grows faster.
    Good Luck.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Note your plant is called Tobira, with an "r". The species name is the same as a Japanese common name.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Yes, 'Wheeleri' is a tight-growing version, denser and lower than typical. The species is sometimes seen as much as 30 ft. tall or so on suitable sites, after enough time has elapsed. So if a 'Wheeleri' had been used instead the same specimen would be some fraction of that height - perhaps as much as 10 ft. or more, I suppose.