Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My stages of composting

Great pics
Jill

o

pto3,
Wow Yes! thanks. Couple of questions for you though.
Your freshly mixed batch doesn't seem to have any greens that I can see, what did you use? Maybe they are underneath?

Did you screen your final product, it's beautiful?

How long did this all take, and what was your average temp whilst cooking?
Sorry to pester you, but THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I WANT, so.....

o

I can see some grass clippings peeking out in there.

:)

o

Lloyd, I bow before your expertise!
In zone 3, I'm guessing that you only get these fast results during the summer?
Also, do you think you would get compost so fast if you didn't use the tumpler systems?
Finally, then I'll leave you alone for a bit, how do you get the amounts necessary to fill a tumbler all at once to get things cooking.
Thanks,
Sandra

o

• Posted by pt03 3 Southern Manitoba (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 17, 08 at 4:48

Good Morning Sandra

Expertise...snort...hardly. All I learnt is to mix, water and aerate. Time and the critters do the rest. I have no where near the knowledge level of some of the other contributors. I just like to compost stuff.

Compost season generally runs from mid April to the end of October. Fast composting is a product of a few variables; shredding the browns, absolutely a big thing in speedy decomposition; thorough mixing of the C and N; monitoring moisture and adding as necessary, I find with high temperatures moisture loss can be a factor. But my goal isn't fast compost because I let it cure a long time, my goal is fast tunraround in the tumbler. I had thought I could get the same 14-20 day cycle in the multi-tumblers, I was wrong. I think because I do not shred the material going into the multi's it takes longer before the temperature gets high and longer for it to come down. Could be other variables as well, who knows. In any event it takes longer. A person could do the same with a bin but it would be a LOT of work, with the multi tumblers, I just plug the motor into the outlet and watch them tumble.

As far as getting raw materials. I have a contract with the town to get all their yard waste material. I get at least four truckloads a week during the summer and a lot more during spring clean up and fall leaf season. When selecting greens I look for the fresh stuff that is finely chopped, it mixes very well with the browns. I have noticed that spring grass is the best and I am assuming that this is a result of spring fertilizing. Just a guess on my part. I try to use leaves that have been picked up with a mower as they are partially shredded. I try to store these so that I have a source of browns all season.

I like composting and I like to design and build stuff out of scrap so during the winter we design/build and then try them out in the summer. Not every project/idea worked but we had fun trying them. As I said elsewhere, it's like therapy and it's not really anything more than a really large scale hobby. I get lots of people coming to look at my contraptions but for the most part they are not feasible in an urban setting. I give tons of the compost away especially to local garden clubs and Communities in Bloom. I appreciate that they appreciate nice compost. Because of my methods I have no worries what so ever about my compost. I might someday get some tested but I can't justify the expense to do so.

No problem with the questions, not much going on in the winter anyways.

Lloyd

o

well, all I can say is I wish I lived in your town!!!

o

Hope you don't mind me asking, but the search engines are not working properly.
I was wondering if one could keep throwing their kitchen scraps onto a compost heap during the winter months. It sounds from the post that the answer is no. (?)

o

Nice pics. Is that a homemade tumbler.

o

Tue, Feb 26, 08 at 3:30

Is that a homemade tumbler.

Yes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Homemade tumbler.

o

• Posted by dorisl 5 NW Chicago burbs (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 12, 08 at 15:49

I was wondering if one could keep throwing their kitchen scraps onto a compost heap during the winter months. It sounds from the post that the answer is no. (?)

When you live in the midwest, you cant let a little cold weather slow you down! Ive been throwing the stuff on the pile and layering in the paper.. Yep, it froze, but when it thaws, its gonna get SMOKING HOT, Im sure of it.

specially the BAGUETTES! HAHAHAHAHAH

o

Hi Lloyd. Just checked out your pics. Got a question for ya. Just how long WILL it take for that quarter to finally break down? *snark*
Kris

o

Wed, Dec 10, 08 at 16:36

HeHe. But Kris, that is a nickel, our quarters have a moose, elk, deer or some such other kind of ungulate on it.

I'm a poor farmer, couldn't afford to use a quarter.

Lloyd

o
slide shows

Fri, Dec 12, 08 at 18:18

Windrow slide show

Sheet Composting slide show.

These contain lots of photos. There are options for the speed and to toggle a commentary.

Lloyd

o

• Posted by val_s z5 central IL (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 17, 08 at 11:23

ungulate

If I didn't know that you had posted this before me, I would have sworn that it was payback for "patudy". Hate looking up words :-)

Val

o

Wed, Dec 17, 08 at 17:09

Gotta admit it is a cool word. I enjoy a cool word thrown in now and then, sometimes I link em to a definition. I shoulda made a list of all the cool words I have seen here.

Lloyd Loyd Loid

o

Thu, Dec 18, 08 at 9:23

Okay - I admit it - it is a cool word. I've been trying to think how to work it into a conversation :-)

Val

o

• Posted by gnomey 7b SC zip296 (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 30, 08 at 1:06

and I'll admit that I had to look it up. Quit using big word Loid. You make my head hurt.

o

Tue, Dec 30, 08 at 7:54

I still haven't found a way to use "ungulate" in a sentence. Actually, I've been a little afraid to....someone might smack me.

Val

o

• Posted by gnomey 7b SC zip296 (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 30, 08 at 21:47

Val, they might.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here