Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How can I make my soil 'light'

Posted by carla17 Z7 NC (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 23, 06 at 0:24

I ordered some dahlias and the instructions say to amend the soil to make it "light". I thought about peat moss, but it holds water doesn't it. I could also use a little sand for drainage. I have some mushroom compost. I have mostly red clay soil.

Thank you,
Carla

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How can I make my soil 'light'

I don't recommend using peat moss. It's expensive and adds nothing in the way of nutrients to the soil. A nice organic compost will make the soil light. Cheryl

o
RE: How can I make my soil 'light'

Likewise for the sand, it doesn't help drainage until you add a very significant amount. You get the same drainage benefit from adding organic matter and it also adds nutrients.

Clay only becomes problematic when it gets too wet or too dry, its the best soil to have when the moisture is right. So add lots of organic matter in the form of mulches, compost, shredded leaves, etc, to moderate the water level.

Kyle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here