Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Egg Shells? Safe?

Posted by felin 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 1, 10 at 19:23

Hi,

I am brand new to vegetable gardening.
Thought I'd try to start my first ever compost pile. No clue how to, but will look around on this section.
Can egg shells be harmful? The reason that I ask is because of always having to be cautious of raw eggs when eating because of potential salmonella poisoning. Is that not an issue when adding them to a compost pile? Have heard that you should always rinse them first IF using them, but had someone in another section on this forum tell me that "No" I do not have to rinse them.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Egg Shells? Safe?

I don't rinse them. I don't eat compost.

o

I love egg shells; I think it gives so much to the soil. I'm usually don't put meat or proteins in, just to avoid critters, but when we make egg white omelets, I toss the yokes right in.
A lot of serious composters are a lot more scientific than I. I'm a tosser. I used to hate cleaning the refrig...now my DH gets mad because I'm snooping in there all the time taking stuff that's almost reached its end. Anyway, all I do is toss the kitchen scraps, coffee grounds, etc. Occasionally, in the dead of night, the men in my house will go out and pee on it. Liquid Gold. If it gets too wet and stinky (not from the pee), I tear up newspaper into it.
Composting is addictive. My DH even brings home stuff from work for it/me. Look up lasagna composting. That's how I do it fall and winter. Just pick the spot you want to amend. It's amazing.
Have so much fun with it.
And PS...I don't spend a cent on it. It's all already here...or at starbucks.

o

I save up my eggshells for a week or two, grind them in the blender and add them to my compost. No worries re: salmonella.

o

I don't rinse the eggshells. I just toss them in to my compost. They get crushed when I turn the container.

o

If you are planning to eat the actual compost, then yes, you should rinse the shells. Otherwise just toss them in there.

o

Egg shells are a great source of calcium for your plants to stay healthy and free of disease. I use egg shells in compost or just bury them right in the garden. The only problem I see with egg shells is they don't break down very fast unless you blend them up! Other than that they are free fertilizer!

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Life Japan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here