Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The evening primrose and me

Posted by Katia z5 MI (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 4, 04 at 17:39

Hi folks,

I thought I'd post a picture of my huge evening primrose. I also thought I'd jump in with a picture of me. I don't like pictures of myself, and I don't like this picture of myself, but it's not as bad as some.

The evening primrose is a bienniel. It spends its first year as a rosette and then grows and flowers the 2nd year. This one thought that it was growing to be a tree.

I am looking into the sun. The flowers are drooping by noon.

Katia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The evening primrose and me

Hi Katia!
Two very beautiful roses indeed! I love getting to see what my fellow GWebers look like. It's like getting a very sweet and unexpected present! The evening primrose is something I'd like to learn more about, I just don't know much about them.
gardenymph

o

Wow Katia!

I had no idea evening primroses got so huge!

Also, nice to see a picture of you, now, too. I'll see your face when I read your posts from this point forward.

o

Hi Katia! (waving from Oregon)

o

• Posted by annp z5 ME (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 6, 04 at 9:37

I love you Katia! I knew I would.

o

Katia, thanks for posting your picture,
You look like a very wise person, which in fact we all know is true.
(I think you would look cute in more modern glasses!)

o
RE: The evening primrose and me sorry!

Sorry Katia, I didn't mean to imply that there is anything wrong with the galsses you have on!! Just wishing I could wear my cute reading glasses all the time.
Also wondering about your evening primrose. I have a smaller plant with HUGE flowers that are crepe paperish. I thought that was evening primrose? Just wondering.

o

Aha! Here she is!
Dahlink, you look mahhhvelous...you should feel free to post more!
I love how your yard looks all woodsy back there, ahh the midwest...
Also, I always pictured you with long wavy locks...funny how our mind makes up pictures.

o

Thanks for all the kind sweet words!

CarrieIN, I'll have to try out more modern frames next time but I bet I'll go back to these same ones again. They seem to attract me magnetically. Plus there is room for all three parts of the trifocals.

There seem to be lots of different varieties of evening primrose. I've got Oenothera biennis. The link says that a mature plant is 5 feet tall but I've had many of them grow bigger than that. I've also had them flower after I've been mowing them all summer long and then stop. They're only about 6 inches tall when they bloom then. My only regret is that it takes them two years to attain their glory and then they die (but they leave lovely seedpods for the birds.)

Katia

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA info about Oenothera biennis

o

Thanks for the link.
I had planted this burgandy flowered plant(that I thought may be a type of evening primrose)
It didn't ever come back. This year at a different location the same variety apppeared with huge white flowers. It was a nice surprise.

o

never saw a evening primrose that tall before. Nice to put a face to your name Katia.

Thanks for sharing
Cheers

o

Does it really grow that high?

And is this also Yellow Evening Primrose, or something else?

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow Evening Primrose?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here